Variable Timing P-Pump

Weird that this thread popped up, I was just going to post up something about this.

Here's some pics out of the book "Diesel In-Line Fuel-Injection Pumps" by Bosch
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Anybody know what applications the timing advance gear was used on? Would like to get my hands on one to play with.

That is exactly what I was thinking

Looks like it works a lot like our govenors as well

I was thinking something with an electric motor (that is why I was looking at the electric motor system that Denso made for changing the cam timing) so we could change the timing to whatever we wanted, whenever we wanted. But for now it looks like if anyone can get anything (adapt or design a system) to work it would be worthwhile.

I remember taking a Case tractor to the boneyard a few years ago that had some sort of electric timing control similar to the John Deere pump. Have not been able to locate any info on it since then. I remember it was not a U.S. version tractor, something European maybe? Been working on it though!

I think the 8400 John Deere tractor uses a electronic p pump

mack also used the electronic p pump. have one right now in a 98 e7

I remember taking a Case tractor to the boneyard a few years ago that had some sort of electric timing control similar to the John Deere pump. Have not been able to locate any info on it since then. I remember it was not a U.S. version tractor, something European maybe? Been working on it though!

Forget I even mentioned the electronic governor part...there are hundreds of different Bosch pumps that have an electronic governor, but 99% of them are not variable timing.

With regards to the variable delay in IP timing, would anyone happen to have a map of the timing curve through the rpms?

Ive been thinking this stuff over for the last few days. To me the biggest concern would be having that gear fly apart at 4500rpm and send all kinds of parts through the gear train... that would be worse case scenario in my opinion

for those of us who tow with some power and never go over 3200 rpm, this could have a nice effect

for those of us who tow with some power and never go over 3200 rpm, this could have a nice effect

yeah, start up at 11* and advance it to 18 or so at about 1900 rpm. That would be sweet. On the all out performance side set idle at 16* and have it advance to the mid 20*'s by 3000rpm would be pretty friggin sweet. Although the unit would have to be built heavier cause i dont think those factory units we are looking at were meant for much over 2900rpm :doh:

on edit: renopker is right

Last edited:
That's just a regular EDC style P Pump...IIRC the one I'm referencing was an H style pump. It has the same pilot as the 7000 series P-Pump but uses a larger 35mm cam instead of 30mm like the 7000 series...I'll try and find a link for it

I know this thread is old, but do you have any information on these pumps?

Back