VE lift pump questions

jon28

hey guys wondering what the suppply is needed ot feed the VE pump i have a holley black pump we put on my dads 1st gen but he says its only running at 9psi running but can be up to 14 so would bumping it up to 14psi make a difference or can he put a eletric pump that puts out almost 40psi and not hurt the pump? what should fuel pressure be whil;e driving the truck. is afc mod keep the truck drivable or big losses in mileage? pros and cons of this mod

You dont want to get over 20 psi to the VE, You will push the front seal out over that. I'd say 15-18 would be in the safe range, Yes turning it up to 14 would help. What afc mod are you talking about?

he wants to grind the afc levers foot off about 3/16ths of an inch

I think the mileage will mostly depend on your right foot, I'd recommend just pulling the afc lever out, that way if you don't like it you can slap it back in or grind it. Once you grind there is no going back. When i pulled mine i gained tons of smoke, a lot more bottom end power and a lot higher egts. Not sure about mileage because my odometer is broken.

From my experience annd talking with the 1stGen gurus.

-You want a bare minimum of 5psi at all times, 10 is better.
- grinding the AFC lever or removing it altogether CAN (not saying it for sure will) result in less power, slower acceleration, and of course, LOTS of smoke and EGT. In my mind, there are other ways to get the fuel you need. Though grinding some on the foot would be ok.

big bad diesel- are you referring to not running with the AFC at all, or just removing the tapered cone? If the latter, the guide pin will push out too far into the "well" and leak. BTDT.

Dan

a ground the foot alittle and ground my own pin (cone). i rotate the cone to the shallow side if i want to reduce fuel . the afc tuned has alot of advantages. at my elevation my truck is quiker with tuned afc.

Back