VE Pump Help?!?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Hey guys...

Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, but couldn't really find a good area for the questions.

Ive got a 4bta swapped into an '03 Tahoe... its compounded, etc..etc..

Recently the ve pump started leaking so I decided to do a reseal on it. Pulled it apart and went through it without any issue.

Reset everything back to how it was before it was pulled apart (except the gov. shaft... I didn't realize it was adjustable before pulling it apart so I reset it based on memory but its probably not right)

Anyways, reinstalled the pump and it was a nightmare to get it to fire. After I finally got it it start, I had to hold the throttle half open to get it to idle.. which at that point it wasn't missing or anything.. but throttle response was very sluggish.

I asked around and it was suggested that I reindex the throttle shaft.. so I ended up moving it two marks counter clockwise. Now it will start and idle.. but the throttle response and power are still lacking.

I then bumped the power screw in a good bit which brought back some throttle response but now its idling too high even with the idle screw backed all the way out and power is still lower then it was before pulling the pump.

Before pulling it, at idle, I could wrap the throttle up and it would smoke a good bit.. now it barely puts out a haze which means I'm certainly not getting the fuel I was before the reseal.

Where should I go from here??

If this is in the wrong spot, please relocate it.

Thanks in advance.
-Chris

Is ur throttle touching the idle screw? And did u turn the timing up?

It went back together stock... everything was locked down and everything lined up... its just not putting out any fuel.

After dicking with it for a week, its at the pump shop... took it in this morning... waiting for the call

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

I am not super familiar with VE's, but it sounds like it isnt getting enough fuel to the pump. Is there a fuel shut off solenoid setup that you possibly clocked wrong so it is only getting 30% fuel instead of 100% or something like that?
I did something like that on my ppump and it was a very quick and easy fix (unfortunately I didn't notice it until I was driving to work so I had to deal with it all day...).

Not sure.. the truck ran great before... the pump had just started leaking between the head and body...

Locked everything down at tdc and pulled the pump... did a reseal on it and reinstalled... just to get the sob to run, the fuel screw had to be bottomed out.

I'm under the impression that I missed something on reassembly... a spring or something is out of place. Should know later today what's going on with it.

Last edited:
Did you break the Fulcrum lever off inside the pump when you put the AFC half of the pump back on?

My friend did that to his first gen when he was working on it at my shop one night...

I bought the truck a few months later since he gave up, welded the tab back on with the tig, done.

Did you get the little spacer back in between the rotor and cam plate?

Sometimes bumping the timing towards the head will help some, too.

Also, re-check the settings on your AFC, you could have the fuel pin set shallower than it was and the power will be off from the original settings.

As far as priming them up, sometimes a VE can be a real pain to prime up, other times it's as simple as bleed the air at the fuel fitting on the pump, crank to bleed the injector lines and she lights right off.

It's almost never the same experience from 1 engine to the next.

Mark.

As far as the lever goes... I always just back the fuel screw out all the way when I pull the top of the pump apart.

The fuel pin was clocked to the deepest portion before being pulled and I marked it before taking it apart.

With the fuel screw cranked in, it would idle smooth and run OK.. just lacked power and throttle response. With the fuel screw bottomed out, it wouldn't even haze and EGTs were cold.

The spacer was in place when I put it back together.. held it in position with a dab of automatic trans assembly lube.

Still waiting to hear from the pump shop. They said they should know something by noon or so today.

Re-reading your top post and thinking that soggy and unresponsive just sounds like timing to me.
Are you sure you didn't get it a tooth retarded, or did you even remove the pump gear from the housing?

Mark.

Before taking the pump in, I pulled the gear cover... everything was spot on... timing marks on the gear case and pump lined up dead nuts and the key on the pump shaft was in perfect shape.. not deformed or anything along those lines. Previously I installed the pump with the front cover in place but tore it down to check timing after all this.

I don't understand why I would get 0 smoke... not black.. white.. blue.. nothing.

Still waiting on the pump shop...

Last edited:
Pump shop says it was just out of calibration... I'll know more tomorrow.

It sounds to me like it's still not indexed right. You need to go tighter with it so the you won't need to hold the pedal down to keep it running.

Indexing any tighter and it idles at 1500rpm with the idle screw backed all the way out. I tried everything that I could do on the truck before sending it off... nothing made a difference.

I'll know more tomorrow when I can talk to the guy who did the work on it.

Well its done. $240 .... 3.5hrs of labor on the test bench to get it right. They said everything was out of spec and they went on and calibrated everything based on the higher fuel rate and gov. spring..

According to them, it should perform a lot better. I'm curious if its been out of spec since day one... I'm not sure how everything on it could be out when it went back together the same way it came apart...

We'll see if I get time to bolt it all back up tonight.

Well its done. $240 .... 3.5hrs of labor on the test bench to get it right. They said everything was out of spec and they went on and calibrated everything based on the higher fuel rate and gov. spring..

According to them, it should perform a lot better. I'm curious if its been out of spec since day one... I'm not sure how everything on it could be out when it went back together the same way it came apart...

We'll see if I get time to bolt it all back up tonight.

Well, hopefully it's a rocket now!

Back