ve towing/street twins

shiftycapone

wandering the desert
I posted this in the 89-93 section but got only a few hits, thought more would see it over here. I am building twins for my 90' d250, it tows my other truck and is my daily transportation. It is not intercooled at the moment but I have the cooler in the garage waiting to go in, along with a 518 trans, shift kit, deep pan, and good converter. For mods it has: hx35 in the 18.5 housing, ground pin, 366 spring, piston LP with holley regulator, timing bumped, afc adjusted, full power screw turned in pretty good, and a 4" diamond eye eshaust.

It runs great right now, minus that sloppy converter (although fun at times) but with the other new parts going in and the fact that come summer it will tow a good amount (figure 10k truck+trailer) I thought twins wouldnt be a bad idea. Weston has a set of 7x.010's for me to drop in as well. I already have the hx35 with both the 18.5 non gated housing and a heavily massaged 12cm housing, along with a 74mm ht3b with a 26cm housing, and a 70mm ht3b as well. I ran a 35/3b setup on my 24v and it ran great, but there are other options and thats why I'm asking. If possible I would rather not relocate the heat exchanger on the block either. I have thought about these chargers as well:

-s300g, I have a .83 CAT turbine housing for an "s300", actually an s200 cartridge with the 70/60 turbine.
-Edge Jammer bb turbo, non gated
-he351
-58/65 or 68 turbine, s300
-And there's always the hx40 compressor upgrade for my 35

For a primary:
- gt4202, gated turbine would be awesome
-tv7512, seen them for sale on here, but long gone now
-475/83/1.1 t6

Any other suggestions are greatly welcomed. I have never towed with a 12v and would like this truck to be capable ( don't talk chit about the trans). It's also my dd/street truck, so an honest 400hp at the tire would be great, and I could turn it down to tow if needed. Its getting caltrac's, helper bags, and maybe a locker as well. So run the 35/3b setup, or find something "better"?

Last edited:
Which 475 Weston ? I thought you hated one of them! Lol

Youll be fine with a hx35/HT3B setup.....You're a first gen guy, why spend money? LOL

For 400 horse a 341-3b will cool that real easy. The 341's are fairly cheap and if you don't like it a 351 will fit in place. I'm running that on the 01 towing real heavy alot and it spools quick and cools decent.

One of my neighboors has twins on his VE pumped first gen that are 35/55. He's just over 400 and loves them. A 70mm comp primary like a k31 or small S400 would supply all the air you would need for 400- 450hp.

Subscribed..

I'm gathering parts for a similar setup but a little less power. Just a good towing setup that will run cool. I have a set of 370s with marine tips 5x13s, a HE351, and a GTA4294 with a A/R 1.15 waste gated..

Are you going to do head studs?

For 400 horse a 341-3b will cool that real easy. The 341's are fairly cheap and if you don't like it a 351 will fit in place. I'm running that on the 01 towing real heavy alot and it spools quick and cools decent.

I will keep that in mind, I have a buddy with one laying around.
One of my neighboors has twins on his VE pumped first gen that are 35/55. He's just over 400 and loves them. A 70mm comp primary like a k31 or small S400 would supply all the air you would need for 400- 450hp.
I do have a 70mm ht3b as well as the 74 in the garage Ron, only thing is the 70mm cover does not have a mwe groove. Dont know if that would affect much, especially in twins.
Subscribed..

I'm gathering parts for a similar setup but a little less power. Just a good towing setup that will run cool. I have a set of 370s with marine tips 5x13s, a HE351, and a GTA4294 with a A/R 1.15 waste gated..

Are you going to do head studs?

I would like a nice gated primary like that, where did you find yours? As of now I am not doing studs. I lubed and retorqued the stock bolts to 135ft/lbs and they felt suprisingly stout, no buttery bolts. If the hg lets go I will fix it. I will try to keep boost to under 50psi.

HM! Never thought about lubing them, I was just going to give them a once over when I installed the injectors. Thanks for the tip..

As for the turbo, talk to Forest.

The mwg is just for surging which shouldn't be a problem unless your pushing it real hard.

So who says the 40 compressor upgrade is worth it?
I have access to a bunch of take offs from ag equipment and what not, many smaller sized s300's. Lots of t3 housings, saw one today that was .64, problem is some housings have no cartridge and some cartridges have no housings. Just have to take measurements. Maybe a small s300, s200 would be a better secondary?

Back