Velocity Stack/Intake build

moparmcg

I want to build a velocity stack/intake for my pulling truck. I would like to do it out the headlight. Just looking for some ideas and pictures that might help trying to plan what i'm going to need. running an s400 with a 5" cover

What truck? Dodge? Chevy?ford? Eaither way you Should Def incorporate an air guitotene, it's for safety and mandatory depending on the class your running.. an actual flared or belled end is just for looks really. when I had the 7.3 motor I ran it right to the drivers head light and stopped just inside... still plenty of air flow and looked good..

What truck? Dodge? Chevy?ford? Eaither way you Should Def incorporate an air guitotene, it's for safety and mandatory depending on the class your running.. an actual flared or belled end is just for looks really. when I had the 7.3 motor I ran it right to the drivers head light and stopped just inside... still plenty of air flow and looked good..

For my 95 2nd gen ram, my plan is to work a blast gate into it as well for some safety. Where i pull is pretty much brush pulling with "street" and "open" class with no enforcements.

0f5009dcdc44e43dbe8e60b1a4537aa4.jpg

I know it's not exactly what your wanting but this is what I run. I removed the headlight and the bell sits right behind where the headlight was

I picked up a 45* boot this week for my turbo and my friend has some extra new 5" laying around. So were going to try and fab something up this week hopefully. I'll post pictures when I'm done. Going to try and incorporate a blast gate as well

Cool man. Make sure to run a cable to the back of truck with a ring zip tied to end of cable to hook to sled..

A velocity stack is just for looks?!

"Really" is the key word. Ie it's not necessary. When u can show me that a 5"bell will flow a significant more cfm then a 5"open tube I will retract my statement and be hubbled...

Good friend of mine picked up 45 hp on the dyno with one....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Really" is the key word. Ie it's not necessary. When u can show me that a 5"bell will flow a significant more cfm then a 5"open tube I will retract my statement and be hubbled...

Good friend of mine picked up 45 hp on the dyno with one....

Several years ago I watched several different types of tubes/ piping be tested on a flow bench. There was significant cfm gains from something with a flaired end, i.e. Velocity stack.

How much??? I can't remember it was several years ago like I said, but the gains were enough to make you want to use it.

A velocity stack will make more power then straight piece of pipe up to a certain length. The length depends on the charger. These guys running the really long tubes out the head light with a velocity stack on the end aren't doing themselves any favors.

Last edited:
A velocity stack will make more power then straight piece of pipe up to a certain length. The length depends on the charger. These guys running the really long tubes out the head light with a velocity stack on the end aren't doing themselves any favors.

Still gets rid of unfilled area and turbulence at enterance

This is why I think some clubs should have a restriction rule on the intake piping to the turbo. Not necessarily truck classes but some tractor classes.

lots of good info, I see the point of the length making a difference, But what about the intake temp difference from pulling out side air vs pulling in hot air under the hood. I'm sure it doesn't matter if your running air water IC but what about the guys like me still running an air to air IC? This might be irrelevant but talking to my buddies that race watercross on there sleds were telling me that pulling in hot air under the hood vs outside air was a 15 mph difference on there sleds, That's what started me thinking on the whole intake thing.

Velocity stack

This is the one I bought to go with my 2.6 charger. I ran a blast gate setup before and it met the rules but it was ugly. Plus I heard that on a dyno the hp gain was about 25 hp.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 0
After reading this I ditched the pipe elbow I had on my 2.5, is the 5" blast gate considered too small and restrictive as well?

Back