Very strange transmission problem

ChrisNickerson

SingleCab 24V
Last night i put in a DPC triple disk torque converter and a double deep tranny pan on my truck. Got it all back together and it did not have lock up. Before this swap with my stock converter i did have lock up. The triple disk will lock in first until about 1/4 throttle then unlock. Today i changed the tranny speed sensor and the OD/lockup solenoid. Still no luck. Also the converter will lock in reverse, will not stall the truck, but once you shift into reverse you see the regular RPM drop then i will drop another 100 RPM and load the motor. Also does the same thing in drive. Once it locks or whatever it is doing i can sit there and put my foot to the floor and it won't go over 1000 RPM. I am wondering if this is a converter issue or electrical. The triple disk came out of a 94 auto RH. My truck is an 99 auto RE. Let me apologies in advance if no one understands what i am trying to say. If anyone needs a better explanation just let me no.

Thanks,
chris

If it doesn't stall the engine when in gear at idle, reverse or forward, it's not locked up.

I use mine as a theft deterrent. I can flip the switch in park and shift into gear without stalling. But the second you touch the throttle it will stall. It does'nt lock up until you move the throttle.

No it will not stall the truck at idle in reverse or forward. But like you said if i flipped the switch it will lock it in first cause i have a sun coast valve body with first lock up and it will stall. But first is the only gear i can get it to lock in no other gear. I can just barley be rolling flip the switch and it will lock, until i touch the throttle then it will unlock. That is where i am confused.

Also my buddy put it on a Solus scan tool and it is commanding lockup around 36 miles an hour but no change in rpm when it's commanded

Possibly cut the lock up seal inside the converter. The one that seals to the end of the input shaft.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you said it would lock in reverse and in drive but wouldn't stall the engine.

With the trans bolted to the flywheel housing, how much clearance is between the converter and flexplate?

This...................

Possibly cut the lock up seal inside the converter. The one that seals to the end of the input shaft.

My guess is this. I had the same thing with a DPC converter and when I pulled it and looked down the stator hole the O-ring was turned sideways in the bottom of the stator hole. Not sure if I did it or not but Phil fixed it and it has been great since.

Back