Vp to Ppump swap

DISTURBED

YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Has any one done a VP to Ppump swap with dynoing with no other mods done? I was just curious as to the gains if any on just the pump swap on a known VP HP setup. The pump used doesn't matter as long as it was a 12mm.

Edit: I should have said at the time of the swap nothing else was changed. So what ever the VP was running ie. Injectors, changers, cam was left alone when the swap was done.

Last edited:
With hx35/3b twins, 16 deg of timing and Jammer 1's I made 475. Made 440 with RV275's. That was a 2002 HO motor.

What did it make as a VP?

Right now my 01 makes or made the last time it was on a dyno 554 as a VP. I'm curious if by just bolting on a 7100 it will gain anything over what it does now. 150's, 64/3b is what I'm running

Last edited:
He said it made 440 with rv's.never said said what pump but I'm assuming vp+rv's but we both know what happens when you assume

Sorry. I never ran a vp. I'll slither away. My p-pump was set at 325cc at the time.

No problem Ron. I'm guessing Im not going to get many replies as most change other parts when they do the swap

I did a just a pump swap on my '01. HO VP to a stock 160 p-pump with 4k GSK. If I remember right I only gained about 30 HP but had close to a 200 ft lb torque increase.

What did it make as a VP?

Right now my 01 makes or made the last time it was on a dyno 554 as a VP. I'm curious if by just bolting on a 7100 it will gain anything over what it does now. 150's, 64/3b is what I'm running

as im sure you know, its solely going to depend on the pump tuning. you have a vp with some type of electronic enhancement now, putting a stock 7100 on is not going to mean the same power without some pump tweaking

for reference when i p-pumped mine, its 550-560hp as a VP with TST and smarty tuning, stock cam and a silver bullet. at the time of the swap i stepped to a 465, aftermarket cam, and a benched 215 pump with laser cuts and first dyno run it made 550hp with the fuel backed down to about 350cc. i ended up with a best of 630 with the fuel turned up to 500cc that day, but it was doing it over a wider rpm band.

is your goal to just make the same power, but with more reliability or are you trying to crank it up a bit now.

My truck with the electronics off made 499. That's all I need for what I do with it. I was just curious of what people saw from just the pump swap. One day the VP is going to let me down so I've just been bouncing the idea around in my head about just doing it before I'm some where and it leaves me sitting

Last edited:
One day the VP is going to let me down so I've just been bouncing the idea around in my head about just doing it before I'm some where and it leaves me sitting

This... Knock on wood mine hasn't given up yet. I have a feeling its getting tired. I am hoping by summer time I can have the parts to ppump it. Solely for the reliability. I most likely will be going from a reman SOVP to a maxed/ balanced ppump. No other mods.

I am interested to know of any other gains/ losses. I.e. mileage, response, and over all driveability. I can't imagine it wouldnt be much different than a 12 valve.

My mileage stayed pretty much the same with a 215 pump at 15 degrees as it was with a HRVP pump. Response and driveability were all improved. No more surging that I had in low speed situations. Power was a bit better after the swap with a 10 plate slid forward. Never dynoed before or after with the same combination of parts. Would have been about a 40-50 hp increase, I would guess.

My mileage stayed pretty much the same with a 215 pump at 15 degrees as it was with a HRVP pump. Response and driveability were all improved. No more surging that I had in low speed situations. Power was a bit better after the swap with a 10 plate slid forward. Never dynoed before or after with the same combination of parts. Would have been about a 40-50 hp increase, I would guess.

Excellent! This is just the results that I am looking for. This has sealed the deal for the fate of my 24 valve.

I just can't stand the lack of response. My 24 has a 6 speed which I prefer night and day over my 47RE in my 12 valve. But in high gear, low in the RPM range my 24 vlave is a dog. It's completely stock and takes forever to pick the turbo up. My 12 valve (with no fuel plate and AFC adjustments) shifts into OD, drops low in the RPM range and spools the HX in a hurry. I know the difference is in the pumps and timing. A nice little in-line pump should make my 24 valve a fun truck to drive!

Gov springs and a gsk should make 500 hp easy with any p7100 and your setup. I actually like a vp truck more then a p7100 truck at 500hp though.

I'd love to see 500 out of my vp lol! Ill be watching this... Shouldn't have sold my spare 12v motor.

Back