vp44 delivery valves

I have been told "No" by a few sources, but I have not visibly compared the difference myself.

Ironically, the general consensus seems to be that the SO (Standard Output) pumps have larger plungers than the HO (High Output).

I've also been told that there is a different pump used in industrial and sometimes nautical applications. Once again, this is all second hand information that I haven't physically compared myself.

I've often wondered what would happen if a SO pump had the computer off an HO pump.. Would the low end fueling be similar to the HO, or does it really not make a difference? It seems that we have no problem cracking the ECM, but the last (and maybe final) holdup to making some serious power lies in the brain of that stupid VP pump. If we had complete control over the VP, fuel delivery and timing would be incredible.

I'm happy with my Source modified VP pump.. But I still don't trust the brain on top of the thing 100%. If we had stand-alone control of the VP and it was reliable... That would be one hell of a pump on the market. Maybe someone will come up with it someday.. Maybe someday.

I believe most Hrvps are just SO pumps with HO electronics

I was always told they were the larger piston of a S.O. with the taller cam of a H.O. with what ever electronics are OE for the year/model of the pickup.

I've recently bought a 99' dodge diesel 6 spd and have wondered if you could put a automotive computer on an industrial pump vp44. I recieved an industrial pump for free with no knowledge of what is wrong with it. So what i want to know is what are the differences between SO, HO, Industrial, and automotive vp44's?

That is a question a lot would like to know. Funny how those bits of info are so hard to find out.

I would we warry of industrial applications because of rev limiters.

There are even agriculture applications. John Deere uses VP pumps on engines all the way up to 6.8 liters. It would be really interesting to try something like that..

I think the biggest holdup no matter how you look at it is the computer on top of the pump. If we could get around that computer, the VP would have huge potential. It may not replace the p-pump for all out competition, but a pump that is capable of making 700hp and be fully adjustable is a heck of a product to bring to the market.

We used to get Agco lease tractors with Sisu diesels and they always had what ever the Cummins ISB had for injection, VP44, CP3. Any ways they offered a 8.4L 320hp, always figured it might be a hotter pump. Side note, I dealt with the regional service manager alot and asked if they had VP deaths like we do, said they had replaced one pump in all the years they had them, and thats all of the north west. They had a nice LP double filter head combo sitting right next to the VP.

Anyone know what the model of the vp that is on the 8.3? I remember reading somewhere and thought someone said vp-30 or 33.... Either way... it has to move more fuel right? Any way to make the computer on it compatible with the dodge electronics?

I was wondering if anyone know if you can replace a Industial/marine pump computer with one for automotive? I beviele that as far as the pumps go there should be some internal differences as far as the amount of fuel being pushed is concerned. I think the pump is a pump and any timing and rev limits should all be in the computer. I've been told that you can replace the pump computer for $325 so i was thinking if an automotive com. works on a industial/marine this could be a possible hotrod tech. Any input would be nice. These pumps can't be too hard to figure out.

The computer on all vp44 pumps are the same .It is the program that the test stand programs into the computer is the diff.

Todd

This Pump has me wondering.

I've been told by a warranty guy that to flash the computer and reprogram requires codes from cummins. I was wondering if anyone has pulled one of the computers off and knows how the computer plugs in. If it is possible i would like to take the higher horespower Ind. VP44 (275+) and installing a stock 235hp computer on it. I'd think the industrial would push more fuel? If it did work would it be the same as a H.O. VP44?(besides the compression ratio)

I would we warry of industrial applications because of rev limiters.
rev limiter is programmed into the ECM.. no worries..

what i would be worried about would be the communication between VP pump programming and ECM programming..

I can get access to Cummins insight and think it might be worth plugging in to see what happens. Also I worked in a warranty shop for 2 years or so and changed around 12 VP44s. My quickest time for pulling one off was 35min. pump out of truck. If i get bored enough i might just try installing the damn thing to see what happens. The reason for the pump being replaced was more a question of what was wrong with the mechanic and not the pump. I will look into this more and see what software i can get hold of. Hopefully i can find something useful. One more thing what information is altered when a chip/programmer is being used and could a computer be wired in to allow custom tuning? If a company can offer a performance chip how hard could cracking the computer be?

Back