Vp44 questions

SeeYaLater5.9

Farmer of the year!!
Is it possible for these pumps to get "tired" or do they either work or don't work?

My truck has 240k on it and is the original pump AFAIK. would I see any benefits of replacing it with a new one even though the one I have now still works?

I've been around a truck or two that give no problems what so ever, and are gutless wonders of the world and the only thing I could guess is the pump. In my opinion yes but, each truck and each scenario is different.

Like I mentioned my truck runs just fine I'm just wondering if I'd see anything worthwhile of a 1200$ new pump to make it worth replacing at 240k miles.

I've been looking at blue chip diesels pumps

With my luck I'd think I would notice and not see anything lol. Like I said though this truck runs fine technically but just doesn't have any huevos lol

For what its worth, when I bought my truck my VP was on its way out and I didn't know it yet. I got 16mpg.

Friend of mine with 2 VP truck drove it and said it felt doggy even in stock form.

A few weeks later my truck had hard starting issues. Talked to Chip at BlueChip and he explained the pump was mechanically wore out and needed replaced.

I replaced the pump, felt a noticeable increase in power, and my mileage was increased to 20mpg.

as with anything metal on metal, over time tolerances wear, they will become lazy... for a lack of a better word...

I'm not saying you lose power, but maybe not as efficient...per say

I have a scheid pump with probably 180k on it, I believe its the same way as yours, it seems a little smokier, not a crisp, but it still gets the job done..

So I may go ahead and replace it. It certainly couldn't hurt and ill eventually be tuning this truck and adding more fuel and turbo(s)

Now the question..who makes a good SO pump?

I've only looked at bluechips stuff.

Humm... this is interesting. I thought these pumps worked or they didn't. But all the mechanical wear mentioned makes perfect sense. Mine seems pretty laggy in 6th gear, and gets worse fuel mileage now. (I thought it was just due to the colder weather)

I hope I am not in need of a VP in the near future. Hope I can make it another 4 to 6 months!

Mine did the same thing. I did some internet research and it turns out that the factory VPs used a lead free solder that weakens over time due to heat cycles. I've noticed my truck starts fine in the morning (when the engine is cold) and it has hard starts anytime after it reaches operating temperature.

I just ordered an Industrial Injection reman VP from Jaime at CPP. Great price and they have all new internal components.

I just ordered an Industrial Injection reman VP from Jaime at CPP. Great price and they have all new internal components.

"New internal components" sounds like new internal mechanical components, not a new computer.

The computer on the pump (FPECM) is what contains those soldier joints that wear out over so many heat cycles. Unless you are purchasing a pump that has a brand new FPECM on it, it could fail at any time from the fatigued soldier joints.

If memory serves me correctly, the computer is supposed to last 40,000 heat cycles. Mine was at 32,000 cycles when my VP went bad from internal mechanical wear.

"New internal components" sounds like new internal mechanical components, not a new computer.

The computer on the pump (FPECM) is what contains those soldier joints that wear out over so many heat cycles. Unless you are purchasing a pump that has a brand new FPECM on it, it could fail at any time from the fatigued soldier joints.

If memory serves me correctly, the computer is supposed to last 40,000 heat cycles. Mine was at 32,000 cycles when my VP went bad from internal mechanical wear.

You keep track?

I'm sorry, my information was incorrect. I went back and looked and found mine was at 29,422 Key-On cycles (should be close to actual heat cycles), and Bosch supposedly rates them at around 30,000 heat cycles.

The information is stored in the trucks ECM as "Key-On Cycles" and can be accessed by a Snap-On Modis. Probably others.

So I may go ahead and replace it. It certainly couldn't hurt and ill eventually be tuning this truck and adding more fuel and turbo(s)

Now the question..who makes a good SO pump?

I've only looked at bluechips stuff.

look no further. chip's customer service is 2nd to none. great person to deal with. great pump.

look no further. chip's customer service is 2nd to none. great person to deal with. great pump.

Yes. I talked to him for about an hour one day about VP44s and why they fail. I'm sure he has explained the same thing to guys like me over and over and over and over again, but he was patient and explained everything clear as day.

Great guy for sure and knowledgeable as hell!

industrial uses remaned computers on theres, not new on most (cant say all but pretty sure all) there pumps

That's what's nice about Chips pumps. You can get one with a used FPECM or one with a brand spankin new one.

I priced pumps for almost 2 weeks and found that most were $1050 - $1250. As long as you don't see any real problems, I'd leave it alone...unless you got money burnin' holes in your pockets...which I don't ever have that problem. $.02

Back