VW idi engine build questions

Craig_C

Resident Smartass
Im building a 1.6TD, got a couple q's

There were no locating dowells for the cyl head when I tore it down, does the engine have them?? And if so what holes do they go in, as all the holes look to be same inner diameter at the top.

Second, rod nut torque specs??

Craig - there are no dowels on those heads. The bolts or studs keep the heads in line (I know, I know, not the greatest design ever).

As far as the rod bolts, I can't remember off the top of my head. If you are building a VW, best thing to do is get a Bentley manual.

Steve.

Craig - there are no dowels on those heads. The bolts or studs keep the heads in line (I know, I know, not the greatest design ever).

As far as the rod bolts, I can't remember off the top of my head. If you are building a VW, best thing to do is get a Bentley manual.

Steve.

Ive got a couple different manuals downloaded...Ive just found numbers that vary when it comes to the rod nuts. Was just hoping someone could confirm what I think is the correct one!

And it looks like Im supposed to use a 12mm dowel in a couple bolt holes to line the head/gasket up during torque sequence. Kinda hokey but i guess it works!!

Early blocks were 11mm, later blocks 12mm regarding the bolts / studs. I'm not 100%, but I think that the change was around '84.

Steve.

I have the 12mm block. On hold now since one of the new rings was broken in the box.

Back