Wanting to build a DD and puller

bladerunneroif

TheFinalStroke
i have an '05 6.0 crew cab short bed 4x4. I want get into pulling and want it to still be a decent daily driver. Having a hard time deciding which way to go with turbo's and lifts and pretty much everything else. All help is greatly appreciated

What class are you wanting to run? That is the first thing you want to figure out, that will dictate a lot of the rest.

Yeah we are still. We are gonna go to stronger ones i think tho. Mine have been flawless, had them on 3 years. Just getting the length, and and angle right is key. I have never removed mine, just pre load them and back them off. How is your truck running?

Not too bad....finally went to the SCT and trying to decide wether or not to hook the edge back up....I am about 50/50 on that....studded it, upgraded turbo....Hypermax IC, EGR delete, etc. Next step is the injectors....how bout yours?

Well i would really like to do a twin turbo setup, but wouldnt that put me in the superstreet class? But idk if i want to get that serious as far as running in that class, and i think it would be hard for me to be competitive in that class too, but thats just my thoughts, what do yall think?

I may do some pulling, ultimate goal for my 6.0 is twins also.....I don't think I will be doing enough pulling with my truck to justify holding mods for competition......if I get into a newer truck for daily driver then I will turn the 6.0 into straight puller.....unfortunately, only truck I have so it needs to be a "Jack of all trades", Toy Hauler, Puller, Daily Driver, etc.

to have both, it wont be a very fun truck to drive everyday, bump stops, weight bracket, large single turbo...

Yea that's what I'm afraid of, the better it is at one thing, the worse it is at the other.

do you have any mods already, theres much to be done to the 6.0 before big turbos and sticks !!

what he said...
start with fixing the egr.
sct
some mild injectors.
i would just go with a single cause you will not be able to hang in the unlimited class unless you drop some g's in it.
built trans.
traction bars.
weight bracket and bump stops. the weight bracket can be taking off and bump stops moved back up and will drive on the street fine.

your gonna probably need a 225cc injector for either the work stock or street class. Elite has some vgt turbos specifically designed for both these classes that wil make over 575hp. If you don't want a vgt your gonna need a S465 turbo to compete in the street class and probably custom tuning to make that turbo work, but your not going to drive a S465 on the street. A vgt is your best bet to be competitive and still be able to drive it on the street Its hard to tell you what you need until you tell us what class you want to pull in

work stock turbo
www.elitedieselengineering.com - 6.0L VGT-Billet. Stage 5WS "Billet." 2004-07 model. (Includes $700 core).

street class turbo
www.elitedieselengineering.com - 6.0L VGT-Billet. Stage 5SP "Billet." 2004-07 model. (Includes $700 core).

Last edited:
I would more than likely want to be in the 2.6-2.8 class, from what i have seen of the rules and regs on the NADM site. I got in a stock class at a small town pull and it got me "hooked" i guess you could say. And to the earlier question, i havent done anything to the truck yet, its stock, i wanted to get on here and try to get some opinions and do some research. That way i know which way to go, with everything. Maybe that helps yall out as far as what you guys need to know. Thanks for the help

Since your stock, you have a long way to go before you are competitive. Below is a list of what you need done:

1. Studs (ARP or H-11)
2. EGR delete (FCDP, GoGo, Elite, Liberator)
3. Gauges (EGT, Tranny, Boost, Drive Pressure, Fuel PSI, HPOP)
4. Exhaust (check rules, may need stack)
5. Complete Fuel system from tank to heads (Trusted, Elite, Etc.)
6. Injectors: 190cc-225cc (Elite, Casserly, RCD)
7. Turbo: 64mm-66mm fixed or VGT (Trusted, Elite, RCD, Etc.)
8. Traction Bars or Lader Bars (Build your own or Find a dealer)
9. Built Tranny (Suncoast, ATS, Etc.)
10. Weight Bracket w/weight
11. SCT w/custom pulling tune (ID, Elite, Gearhead, Cale, RCD, Vivian, Etc.)

This is a basic list of what you will need to be competitive in the 2.6 class along with a good driving skills and knowing how to read the track. Have fun with your build and keep us updated on your progress.

-French

thats a solid list to start with, I like Trusted for many items they are makin.
--ATS does not build the greatest ford trannies IMHO !!

Suncoast, BTS and John Wood is where i would start looking.

NADP builds some good 6.0 trannies. Suncoast are good too. Stock will also take a pretty good beating. Just my opinion but I think alot of the stock transmissions fail because most of the time people try out performance boxes like edge, banks and such for a while then run custom tunes after looking for more power once the damage has been done. If you are looking to drive it everyday and tow then dont go bigger then a 64 mm turbo. otherwise no towing, you could do a 66 probably. For compounds the innovative kit is looking pretty good if you go that route. Dont forget about Gogo tunes. Doug wrote me a good non vvt file

Shoot, I forgot about NADP! They have awesome products as well.

I run a Suncoast in mine and love it!

-French

first thing you want to do is get rid of the egr cooler and install h-11 headstuds. Its going to take you $10-15k to have a decent puller. If you don't have all the money right now and just want to get out there and get some pulling experience and don't want to break your truck you need TRACION BARS, REAR SUSPENSION STOPS, WEIGHT BRACKET and ALL-TERRAIN TIRES. most of the rules require that you have u-jount sheilds and that your exhaust exitup or down. Your transmission won't last long pulling when i peiced together my puller it took me 2 years to build it and it wasn't a month before pulling season that i installed any power adders, it sucks to drop money on stuff that don't add power but it also sucks to repair stuff that could have been prevented.

gauges are good for a street truck but in all honesty i never paid much attention to them when i was pulling by the time i hit the 100ft mark my 1600* egt gauge was pegged and so was my 60# boost gauge, just put it to the floor and don't let off til you stop moving

Thanks a lot guys, and yea i prolly aint going to have the money to do all that at one time,(although it would be very nice) but i am prolly gonna start with the egr and studs, and go from there, and i'll keep yall posted on the progress

Since your stock, you have a long way to go before you are competitive. Below is a list of what you need done:

1. Studs (ARP or H-11)
2. EGR delete (FCDP, GoGo, Elite, Liberator)
3. Gauges (EGT, Tranny, Boost, Drive Pressure, Fuel PSI, HPOP)
4. Exhaust (check rules, may need stack)
5. Complete Fuel system from tank to heads (Trusted, Elite, Etc.)
6. Injectors: 190cc-225cc (Elite, Casserly, RCD)
7. Turbo: 64mm-66mm fixed or VGT (Trusted, Elite, RCD, Etc.)
8. Traction Bars or Lader Bars (Build your own or Find a dealer)
9. Built Tranny (Suncoast, ATS, Etc.)
10. Weight Bracket w/weight
11. SCT w/custom pulling tune (ID, Elite, Gearhead, Cale, RCD, Vivian, Etc.)

This is a basic list of what you will need to be competitive in the 2.6 class along with a good driving skills and knowing how to read the track. Have fun with your build and keep us updated on your progress.

-French

This is a good list. You could start off with the fuel system and traction bars. Both are very good on a stock truck. Also start with the basics, exhaust, gauges, SCT. After that is when it gets expensive.

Back