Waste Gate Freeze Plug Failure

NickTF

Single turbo turd.
failedplug_zps0fcab047.jpg

Turns out the 90psi run caused this to happen. What are everyone's thoughts on welding a plug to the cast iron housing? Factory plug was staked in it looks like like a freeze plug. Not much area to tap for a plug unless I used some kind of pipe nipple and a cap because of interference with gate when opening.

1: Did you find the plug? lol
2: If you can get threads, I'd tap it if you can find a straight through fitting, and then cap that.
3: Or just weld it if you don't think you'll ever need to access that. if you found the plug or can get a new one, maybe just tack it in place to hold it, so you can grind it off later?

Plug is Mia. Plan is to find a freeze plug from local auto store and have buddy tig it in.

Or make a couple tabs to bolt over to hold it in in case you ever need to take it back out....

Chris

I would press in a new plug and put three TIG tacks on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea where to find the exact plug which came out of this turbo. Everyone think i'm good to go with a steel freeze plug? Hopefully they make them in this size if so.

Or make a couple tabs to bolt over to hold it in in case you ever need to take it back out....

Chris

^This is what I'd do. Just tap a couple shallow screw holes and tab over a new plug. Easy access.
I'd be leery of tacking cast even with high nickle. Making a little hot weld and it cooling quickly is a potential starting point for a a crack to propagate from. Even welding it all the way around and cooling it slowly since it's cast isn't the best way in my opinion given the heat cycles it goes thru, plus it would suck to remove later if needed.

Last edited:
I agree with vjay welding all the way around will eventually break the cast as it cools around the stronger weld

Tap a couple small holes around the outside of the plug and you can install some small screws so the heads will retain the plug.

Bit the bullet and took it over to Drummond, he too agreed welding was a bad idea on this application. He's going to make a custom stepped plug with six bolts. Pics to follow when done.

Bit the bullet and took it over to Drummond, he too agreed welding was a bad idea on this application. He's going to make a custom stepped plug with six bolts. Pics to follow when done.

I think that's your best bet. What are you going to use for a gasket?

I think that's your best bet. What are you going to use for a gasket?

I would presume Steve will come up with a plug which is kind of a press fit deal with the bolts acting as an additional level of security. I will see what he thinks, can't hurt to ask. Given the cars he works on I hate to pester him but BBF's and BBC's producing 3000ish hp probably still don't generate the backpressure that little turbo is subjected to in a set of compounds on my ~150cfm turd cylinder head.

image_zps81e95413.jpg

This is what Steve came up with. It is aluminum and interference fit. He figured the expansion of the aluminum would help the plug stay in and didn't think the location would be subject to melting temp heat. Time will tell.

Very nice.
It will be interesting to see if the aluminum is up to the task with a melting point of about 1200*. Being out of the stream of heat I bet it will work.

Last edited:
Very nice.
It will be interesting to see if the aluminum is up to the task with a melting point of about 1200*. Being out of the stream of heat I bet it will work.

x2 but the whole expansion idea makes sense. I bet it'll be fine as long as you aren't sitting at 1800+F for a long time.

It looks really good though!

Pressure did not push that plug out,excessive temps did.
Seen that alot on class 8 trucks that get too hot climbing steep grades.

Back