waste gate problem?

blacked max

I have buddy with a 06 lbz and when he is pulling hard with a load or just going fast through the gears empty it sound like a waste gate opening when the truck shifts from 2nd to 3rd and to 4th being the loudest and i have never heard one a a dmax. Does he need a new waste or is it even the gate that's the sound?

Theres no wastegate on it. What he is hearing is teh turbo vanes moving during a shift. The turbo used since mid year 04 is a variable vane turbo. When the engine shifts, the ECM will change vane position to maintain a constant boost pressure. With a stock exhaust yand tune you don't really notice it that much, but with an open exhaust or tune it gets much more prevalant.

LBZ motors do not have a waste gate, they have a VGT charger. Without putting the truck on a scan tool to see what's happening it'll be a game of russian roulette!

Yeah i didn't think they had waste gates thanks guys. But i use to have a lbz before I got my lmm and i had 5" exhaust and ppe hot 2 on it and never hear this. Is there away I could fix it with my efi live? He is running edge and 4" exhaust.

You should be able to view and log engine data with your efilive and see exactly what's going on.

That's in the scan tool? I'm pretty new to efi, I have only had for about 8 months.

May be the egr blowing open, is it tuned? Is the egr blocked?

He has the plate just need to install it and TRYING to taking care of the code with my efi live. and he has the mp8, edge, 4'' exhaust and cold air.

With that tuning stacked, it could be barking the turbo on shifts.

Ditch the MP8 and edge, tune it with efilive! Problem solved! If the egr valve is blowing open you'll first need to block it.

Not sure what barking the Turbo is. Anything we can do to fix that problem.

Turbo bark is where it is fueling hard and rapidly lose fuel which causes teh turbo to stall for a split second and make a barking type sound from the rapid stopping of the turbo. Stacks are never gonna run as good as a custom tune wil lrun, and almost always will give some driveability issues like this.

ok, Well thanks guys hope i can talk him in to ditching the stacking crap cuase i sure like the efi live and the tunes i have from Nick at Duramax tuner. again thanks for the help.

Back