Watching My 2nd Gen Get Outta Hand: The Build Thread

Still learning my way around tuning this thing, made a lot of progress today. The low stall on this converter is making RND shifts and low throttle driveavbility difficult. I got sick of playing with idle and shift transitions so I turned up the rev limiter to 5k and pulled timing way back at 4k, sounded neat and really got the chargers going compared to normal. This dynamic timing should be real fun as things start coming together. Threw a couple clips together from today.
H-pump 24 valve progress - YouTube

I went back to stock stall after driving a tight converter for years. I never really found an up-side other than not having to hit the throttle to move.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

I went back to stock stall after driving a tight converter for years. I never really found an up-side other than not having to hit the throttle to move.

I observed the same thing when mine had a 47RE, I’ll add that towing heavy sucked. Had a sooper tight DTT single and then a 44 series suncoast. Phil got me into a “stock stall with better fluid coupling” and it towed and shifted better than any other time until the G56 went in.

When this converter first went together we put in a cut stator thinking it was for a higher stall, turns out you can cut a stator for a lower stall as well. Sat at like 1400rpm. Swapped it out for a stock stator and the stall speed jumped up by 200rpm. Going to a V10 cover next and hopefully that'll loosen things up a good bit, the last Goerend I had was at 2100-2200rpm which was perfect with these chargers.

I didn't catch what controller you were working with when I read through the other night

It's a modified DSL1, basically a standalone for OM606 engines with an EDC pump.

I remember that from another thread now. Thank you.

Wasn’t this a hot topic over on CF and anyone who posted progress on getting one running was having their posts deleted? Maybe it’s old news, but anyways very cool. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this setup.

Wasn’t this a hot topic over on CF and anyone who posted progress on getting one running was having their posts deleted? Maybe it’s old news, but anyways very cool. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this setup.

Yea there was a pretty good thread put up by one of the admins there who was working on the project for a few years. Unfortunately a lot of the information in that thread is a little off but it's a good start. Hopefully I can clear some of that stuff up when I get my setup ironed out.

Idle is starting to get ironed out, it's much better than before. Drivability is also improving nicely and the truck seems to come into boost much faster. Unfortunately I had a small setback today as you can see in the pic below :doh:
127203902_10157998621123693_5997046175985789651_o.jpg

That sucks. Engine was probably tired anyway, seemed to have some excessive blowby.

What's next, 6.7?

That sucks. Engine was probably tired anyway, seemed to have some excessive blowby.

What's next, 6.7?

It was pretty tired, just didn’t expect it to go like this. Been collecting parts for a 6.7 build, still need to pick a cam and get some rings, bearings, and gaskets. In the mean time I might fire ring this 12 valve I have in the garage and throw that in so I can keep testing and tuning the h-pump

It’s been a long time since I’ve had an update worth while, life was getting the best of me but things are slowing down. In the meantime my good buddy Matt let me borrow a crusty 300k mile 24 valve runner so that progress could continue on the Hpump project. I threw in my head studs, valve springs, push rods, and got some rod bolts for the bottom end. Put a different Hpump on and the truck ran just like the old pump, couldn’t figure it out. Pulled it back off and put it on the bench along with the old one, learned a few things and made some changes to the pump. Figured out a few things in the tune that were messed up and slowly got the truck to where it is in the video below. As of now it’s basically a rolling science project but it’s drivable and should be enough to move into my first house this week. Gonna be a big learning curve with the tuning stuff but at least the truck is useable for now. Once I’m settled in it’s time to get the 6.7 put together and either find a worthy truck to swap it into or get a new cab for the current rust bucket.

Hpump Update 2nd Gen Dodge RAM Running and Driving - YouTube

Back