water/air IC

Got Milk?

One hook at a time
What would work better? A 3" pipe in an "s" shape in the box. Or a manifold of smaller pipes thru the box with colectors at each end?
Also would any one consider running an air/air with water/air on a motor?

for it to be efficient, it would need to be either a bank of small tubes, or some generic water-air core that's probably available, with "tanks" on either end. Designwise you would want to maximize the wetted surface area without a big pressure drop across the inlet/outlet...but you end up trying to emulate what is already available in the aftermarket world.

Methinks the best practice is to maximize the efficiency of one intercooler for the system, again, keeping the pressure drop to a minimum

run one or the other to get the best results of the systems used, have been using water to air on my DD and love it

for it to be efficient, it would need to be either a bank of small tubes, or some generic water-air core that's probably available, with "tanks" on either end. Designwise you would want to maximize the wetted surface area without a big pressure drop across the inlet/outlet...but you end up trying to emulate what is already available in the aftermarket world.
Methinks the best practice is to maximize the efficiency of one intercooler for the system, again, keeping the pressure drop to a minimum

It would need to fit in a specific slot on the front or my truck. What is the average size of a cooler? Also I was thinking of smaller tubes but I dont want to disrupt the air flow. Too many tubes will increase volume and slow the airflow down, wich would aid in the cooling but mess up the constant flow air flow in the intake piping.

there have been a few water/air coolers for sale around the site, i think most are roughly in the range of 12x12x6" with 3" I/O.

Also I was thinking of smaller tubes but I dont want to disrupt the air flow. Too many tubes will increase volume and slow the airflow down, wich would aid in the cooling but mess up the constant flow air flow in the intake piping.

look at the factory intercooler and note the cross tube dimensions, they are pretty small. The design process goes something like this, but most definitely not limited to:

- determine the temperature differential you want (or can possibly) achieve. This will lead to a calculation of heat transfer from the charge air to the water.
- calculate the surface area (the insides of the tubes) necessary for the heat to be transferred.
- using this surface area work backward to calculate the length, diameter and number of tubes - with mindset of matching the flow velocity through each individual tube with that of the incoming air through the charge pipe. You'll probably have a few dimensional constraints that drive the sizing.. like a set tube length.

And that's how you design a heat exchanger!

....my gut says look for the biggest W/A exchanger to fit on the truck, and run it. The pressure drop will be negligible with relation to the stock intercooler.

Intake airspeed isn't a major factor in a forced induction engine - pressure, not velocity is mostly responsible for cylinder filling.

my statement was more or less for general heat exchanger design, btw.

It would need to fit in a specific slot on the front or my truck. What is the average size of a cooler? Also I was thinking of smaller tubes but I dont want to disrupt the air flow. Too many tubes will increase volume and slow the airflow down, wich would aid in the cooling but mess up the constant flow air flow in the intake piping.

Check out frozenboost.com they have some cheap kits and they seem to work well

i have never seen one, but am wanting to run an air/water cooler this year, i am interested to know more on what it takes to hook one up and and what they look like....

Some I looked at showed 70psi for air or water pressure. They should work for me for the interstage cooler...that is if Jeff can't come up with something;)

Chris

Thanks for all the info guy. Another question is how many pulls allow these on classes under 2.8? Im going to a smaller charger this year.

I just uploaded two pix into my photos of my water air interstage cooler and air to air after cooler setup that I ran for the last three years with my twins

I am Currently just runnin the water air as the class I am in now required me to run a single charger

you would never convince me to go back to an air to air

60 psi is easy for even the cheapo coolers like mine

Back