water injection with out a intercooler

ctd12valve95

I am building a dedicated race truck, and for weight savings and the simplicity of the turbo plumbing ive decided not to run a intercooler. Im thinking ill need to run 3 stages. If anyone has pieced together a system any help would be appreciated so im not just stabbing in the dark at it. Would running a controller be the best way, or run a boost/hobbs style switch for each stage. What size nozzle should I start with and what size should the final stage be.

thanks

I'll be watching this post as I too need educated in the art of burning water.

Most do an air to water setup with inter cooler deleted these days. Just give it a shot without and do a high PSI 6 nozzle water injection at intake valves, log egts and see where you are. All you would be doing at that point is tuning the water and fuel quantity to keep egts in check.

Hobs switch seems to be most choice but that is I due to simplicity and price I think. A controller would be great but it will be expensive and take some time to tune.

Last edited:
OK VMax. I won't even begin to pretend I know what your talking about. Would ya break it down a little more for me?

OK VMax. I won't even begin to pretend I know what your talking about. Would ya break it down a little more for me?

He has it broken down pretty good. If you can't understand that, I'd say you probably don't need water injection yet.

hobbs switch = power on at a specified boost level

controller = digital controller to power on/off at various conditions = Boost/EGT/Time/Throttle position/etc.

He has it broken down pretty good. If you can't understand that, I'd say you probably don't need water injection yet.

Sorry if I offended. We live pretty far back in the hollar so please let me explain.

air to water setup
Does this mean you are using air pressure to push the water? Again, no intercooler will be used including an air to water if this was your meaning.

high PSI 6 nozzle water injection at intake valves
This sounds more along the lines of what I think I need. Now, with a stock intake in mind, are the high psi nozzles simply tapped into the flat intake top positioned where the intake air flows to the intake ports?

Before going any further, sorry to ctd12valve95 for the high jack. I didn't want to start another thread with the same question.

Thanks Hurley for the Hobs switch explanation. I wouldn't want to run all the wiring for a controller. lol

My questions:

I want to use a 12volt pump. I haven't done any research yet and was hoping someone would give a recommendation on a 12 volt pump that would provide enough pressure and volume to work effectively at say somewhere around 100 psi of boost.

Roughly, how much water do you think will be used on an 1/8 mile pass so a fella might size the tank accordingly?

Is pure water the best or does someone offer a purpose built fluid?

Thanks to any and all for your help.

Air to water as in a air to water intercooler. Ive never seen someone do a six nozzle setup without shaving the head and doing a runner intake setup. Witch in your build might not be a bad idea. its really the only way to port the intake side of the head as well.

Sorry about the broken typing above. I don't do to well on my phone.....

If you are running a stock intake I will take back the 6 nozzle system. Unless you pull the head it will be difucult to do in place. With 6 nozzles on the charge pipe You will over load the middle cylinders with water. I would suggest something like a snow kit ect and do 3 or less nozzles right after the inter cooler.

Just trying to help here much more knowledgeable than me on this subject.

Last edited:
OK, thanks to both vmax and 40ray.

I'm all up on the intake porting. Maybe someday in the future we'll do the intake, but for now, I need to make it work like it is.

I finally wised up and did a search on this subject. :nail:

Thanks for the help anyway.

I plan to run a big nozzle in between turbos, and 2 smaller ones in the intake. Use a Hobbs switch for each stage. Set each stage up with shop air to get a ballpark to where they will start spraying, and then fine tune from there.

I plan to run a big nozzle in between turbos, and 2 smaller ones in the intake. Use a Hobbs switch for each stage. Set each stage up with shop air to get a ballpark to where they will start spraying, and then fine tune from there.

Not worried about your intercooler collecting water? I would think a smaller stage between chargers and two larger nozzles after intercooler might be better. I ran 4 large nozzles post intercooler and it definitely worked. But I believe 1 and 6 were still hotter than the rest. I now have 6 nozzles on intake runners.

What I wonder is how a mister in front of the turbo plus 6 nozzles tapped into the intake plate with the discharge pointed at each cylinder would do.

Call Keating.

He has taken a bunch of different parts and made it work successfully on his drag projects.

Not worried about your intercooler collecting water? I would think a smaller stage between chargers and two larger nozzles after intercooler might be better. I ran 4 large nozzles post intercooler and it definitely worked. But I believe 1 and 6 were still hotter than the rest. I now have 6 nozzles on intake runners.

I'm not running a cooler, water and nitrous is all I'm using for cooling. I figured running the bigger stage farther away from the engine would give it more time to mix with the air and work better.

Last edited:
I'm not running a cooler, water and nitrous is all I'm using for cooling. I figured running the bigger stage farther away from the engine would give it more time to mix with the air and work better.

Awwwwwww yea that was the title of this thread lol

I would still run a small stage between turbos to make the 2ndary last longer. I hear too much water going through the wheel is not a good thing. Also have gathered that the more bends ect the water has to go through the more it tends to gather at those bends and make drips (for lack of a better word). I have no proof of this but a couple different guys stated that.

What I wonder is how a mister in front of the turbo plus 6 nozzles tapped into the intake plate with the discharge pointed at each cylinder would do.

This is what I'd like to do. I've been over on the injectable's side of the forum and have watched a couple vids. It looks like the nozzles are pretty large in OD. I would probably have to use some old injector lines, bend them at a 90 to pass through the intake plate and then possibly smash the ends to provide the spray pattern? I don't think you would need much of an ID on the lines, but, I could be wrong. I would also worry about impeding the flow of intake air, but, you would almost have to plunge the tip into each individual runner to prevent cross over????

Also, would you really need the mister in front of the turbo?

cooling mist has a complete kit that reads high boost. 2 stage with a progressive controller, dual 200+ psi pumps. The price isn't bad for a complete kit with everything you need but the tank. Has anyone used this kit before ?

Back