Way time for adjustment...HOW?

GENESIS01

Learning as I Go
Bout to turn over 300,000 and I would really like to know what i need to do to adjust my valves...

Thank you.

Congrats on hitting the 300k mark! I have had 2 trucks over 300k and my current truck is a 99 24 valve at 316k.

Sorry I cant give you any help on checking the valves, I have not done it by myself as of yet.

haha its ok...I love this thing and it is by far still powerful...I am the 2nd owner, the previous one fitted it with some larger injectors, I just don't know what size. all I have been able to do is strip the exhaust and add an intake...but as soon as i get the valves adjusted and my o-rings sealed back up haha its gone be awesome I hope.

Adjusting your vavles is pretty easy and straight forward... if you have a Hayne's or Chilton's manual it has the steps. As far as tools all you really need is .010 and .020 feeler guage and a 10mm(I think) wrench for the nut on top of the rocker at the pushrod. You'll need a way to turn the motor over as you go too. Give yourself an hour to 90 minutes to do it, its not difficult.

ok well u will have to put the #1 cylinder at tdc and u will know its on tdc by removing the crankcase breather on the front cover and match up the hatch marks. Once #1 is on tdc set ur intakes valves on 1,2,4 and then set ur exhaust valves on 1,3,5. then once that is done bar ur engine over 360 degrees (the hatch mark on the pump gear will be pointing down at this point in time) then you can set intake on 3,5,6 and exhaust valves on 2,4,6. And as stated above u will need a .010 feeler gauge for the intake and .020 feeler gauge for the exhaust and u will also need an allen wrench cant remember what size tho. Any other questions shoot me a pm

ok well u will have to put the #1 cylinder at tdc and u will know its on tdc by removing the crankcase breather on the front cover and match up the hatch marks. Once #1 is on tdc set ur intakes valves on 1,2,4 and then set ur exhaust valves on 1,3,5. then once that is done bar ur engine over 360 degrees (the hatch mark on the pump gear will be pointing down at this point in time) then you can set intake on 3,5,6 and exhaust valves on 2,4,6. And as stated above u will need a .010 feeler gauge for the intake and .020 feeler gauge for the exhaust and u will also need an allen wrench cant remember what size tho. Any other questions shoot me a pm

Oh yeah, forgot about the Allen wrench...:bang

Thanks alot guys this is some big help...I really wanted to do this myself to give me some more knowledge on my engine...lol like I say i'm learning as I go.

Thanks again.

I just adjusted my valves the other day at .010 and .020 and thought it made some noise so i put them at .008 and .018 and it seemed to run a little better and quieter.

It will run a little better. Your getting a hair more lift from tightening them down a little more.

The more I think about it, the more I think the nut on the arm is bigger than 10mm also... I'm thinking 12-13mm?

Its actually a 14mm or 9/16 and a 5 mm allen. Set them at .08 intake and .18 exhaust. You will have 2 rockers per cylinder to tighten down and the intake is always the forward rocker per cylinder.

Use a 15mm socket with breaker to bar the engine over from the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolts and use the line marks by the breather and pump gear to find TDC. Both rockers on cylinder 1 will be loose at TDC. Its also a 15mm wrench or socket to remove the valve cover. Very minimal tools needed and after you do it once or twice it will be a 30 minute tops job.

mine were tight @ 200K mi on my 99, I adjusted them to .10 & .20 and seems like my mpg went down? :what: Its either that or I have a IC boot leaking somewhere? Think I'm gonna rob my lower peak boots off my 97 tonight and see if that helps...if not I'll go back n set them @ .08 & .18

Its actually a 14mm or 9/16 and a 5 mm allen. Set them at .08 intake and .18 exhaust. You will have 2 rockers per cylinder to tighten down and the intake is always the forward rocker per cylinder.

Use a 15mm socket with breaker to bar the engine over from the crankshaft harmonic balancer bolts and use the line marks by the breather and pump gear to find TDC. Both rockers on cylinder 1 will be loose at TDC. Its also a 15mm wrench or socket to remove the valve cover. Very minimal tools needed and after you do it once or twice it will be a 30 minute tops job.

The valvecover I know takes 5 10mm bolts... I've had mine off dozens of times, lol.

Back