Weird problem starting

ChuMaDD

Meh
Had a problem the other day I had to drive in the city let the truck sit for about an hour while I did my thing. Came back to my truck not starting, it has two new batteries so that wasn't my problem.. Stater was recently rebuilt by me and was cranking over just fine. But I didn't believe I was getting any fuel, after checking everything I hit my fuel tank a few times with a hammer trying to see if anything got clogged could be loosened up and also primed the truck about 20x's before it got hard to press. It started right up after I did that. I didn't put a fuel gauge in when I did my gauges :badidea: wish I did now but money is a little tight to buy one. :bang :bang :bang :bang

The problem hasn't happened again since I got it started but it is my daily driver so I don't need this to happen to me again and me not be able to get her started. That being said I want to try and root out what caused this to begin while, so any help would be awesome...

Now my question is should I:

Try and get a fuel gauge to it and see what the pressures are at.. What should I be expecting though? It is a completely stock in the fuel tank

Drop my fuel tank now drain it and clean it? Maybe because of debris in the tank

Maybe buy a FASS lift pump or something similar to help with fuel delivery?

*Fuel filter is getting changed when I get free time regardless of the other options

List of Mods I have is #10 plate, 17*, 60# springs, 4k gsk, BHAF, and afc springs

Also while was supposed to be *with* stupid auto correct

There is air entering the fuel system which leaves the prime back to the tank.

There is air entering the fuel system which leaves the prime back to the tank.

Wouldn't that affect me starting it every time though? or is it just coming from the pick up in the tank getting air in that way?

I had this happen to me when I did my ppump swap in my 1stgen. It would do it at random and I pressurized my fuel tank with an air hose and a rag around the fill neck. I ended up finding a crack in a fuel line after my lift pump. Fixed it and it hasn't done it since.

Another possibility is the fuel shutdown solenoid might have not lifted for one reason or another. Check the blue fusable link for corrosion, and the plunger for binding.

Another possibility is the fuel shutdown solenoid might have not lifted for one reason or another. Check the blue fusable link for corrosion, and the plunger for binding.

I had this happen to me when I did my ppump swap in my 1stgen. It would do it at random and I pressurized my fuel tank with an air hose and a rag around the fill neck. I ended up finding a crack in a fuel line after my lift pump. Fixed it and it hasn't done it since.

I will check both of these once the weather gets a little better outside. The problem has never happened before or again since so I am assuming it was just the lower amount of fuel (lil above 1/4 tank while on flat ground) and me being on a slight hill allowed the pick up in the tank to suck up some air in the lines.

Small update went to work came out to grab some food for lunch and noticed I was leaking diesel, can't really do to much at work but looks like it may be coming from the top of the fuel filter, I checked it and it was tight. I am going to replace it tomorrow and see if that helps anything.

O-ring in the drain valve of the fuel filter went bad and was sucking up air as well as leaking replaced it and all is good now.

Back