Weird trans issue...PLEASE HELP!!!

justacummins

Certified Ford Diesel Tec
Hey guys, Ive got a 97 12v in the shop and Its got a very unusual trans issue. When I drop the truck into drive it dies like the converter is locked up tight but if i drop it in say 1st or 2nd it will stay running. Ive never had an issue like this so i really dont know were to start any help would be awesome.
Thanks in advance,
Jared

is it stuck on od or 3rd?? just a guess on my part. drive down the road, kill it then restart it at 40 or so and put it in D and see what happens.

ill have to give that a try, At first I was thinking just another junk converter but that idea wasnt the best lol But Ill give her a drive a report back. Thanks, Jared

is it stuck on od or 3rd?? just a guess on my part. drive down the road, kill it then restart it at 40 or so and put it in D and see what happens.

I wouldn't expect that to stall the engine though, just kill performance.

Sounds like the converter is locked. Probably a valve body issue. It isn't the first time I've heard of issues like this and I'm sure it won't be the last either.

Could it possibly be a sprague in the converter? Not sure if that's how it's spelled...

Almost bought another '94 awhile back that had an ats tranny in it and the owner said it would drag down the motor and try to kill it when you would be stopped or come to a stop. I called ats and they said that a "sprague" was going bad in the converter.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Could it possibly be a sprague in the converter? Not sure if that's how it's spelled...

Almost bought another '94 awhile back that had an ats tranny in it and the owner said it would drag down the motor and try to kill it when you would be stopped or come to a stop. I called ats and they said that a "sprague" was going bad in the converter.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

A broken sprag in the converter will usually just act like a converter with a really, really low stall speed, it likely won't stall the truck when it is put in gear though.

A broken sprag in the converter will usually just act like a converter with a really, really low stall speed, it likely won't stall the truck when it is put in gear though.

It happens on the 12v's since their idle stays the same and dosent have a ECM to compensate for the load to maintain idle so they can stall easier. It's usually the one way roller clutch in the converter, had a 24v and a CR with the same issue. That CR felt like it had a 93% DTT converter in it and would spin tires in gravel when you let off the brake.

It happens on the 12v's since their idle stays the same and dosent have a ECM to compensate for the load to maintain idle so they can stall easier. It's usually the one way roller clutch in the converter, had a 24v and a CR with the same issue. That CR felt like it had a 93% DTT converter in it and would spin tires in gravel when you let off the brake.

That wouldn't explain why it wouldn't stall with the shifter in 1st or 2nd gear position though...

sounds like stuck lockup solenoid, i ran into that with my auto before i ever first built it or the overdirve unit had ot much clearence and sittin at a light it would lockup and drag me out into the intersection or kill the truck, but could it maybe be the shifter out of adjustment puttin the truck in reverse and forward at the same time? just a thought been while since i've messed with one, just .02
-jon

Back