weld gear on crank?

kleann

VP44 pwr
I know it's necessary to weld the gear on the helical cut gears with a p-pump. Does everyone weld the straight cut gears on their cr cummins crank?

I tacked mine in 3 places. Didn't need the cam changing timing on it's own.

They have been know to slip, especially the early CR's.

I have nothing positive to add here, but, thanks for the post.

When I read the title, my mind was picturing welding leads being wrapped up with a crank????!!!!!!!!! lol

Is there a certain power level this should be done at? Don't mean to hijack
My recommendation is whenever you're running an aftermarket cam. With a stock stick a few degrees out may impact performance, but shouldn't cause piston to valve contact. If you're running minimum clearance and it slips, different story.

Diggin this back up... Would it be ok to tack the gear on with a mig? Or should it for sure be tig?

I let the machine shop handle the welding on mine.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 8.44.44 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-04-22 at 8.44.44 AM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
is it that common for the crank gear to slip even though it has a key?? I was just looking at the picture that was posted and the welds look great, but I can't imagine it slipping with a keyway machined.....or are they completely breaking the key off?

They have been known to slip.
I had a 50,000 mile CR that had been in a front ender and broke up the timing case, which someone repaired, but the truck never actually got put back on the road.

I believe some shrapnel got in the gears during it's last moments of run time and moved the gear.
Later, someone fired up the engine and EVERY exhaust valve tapped pistons, one valve dropped, killed an injector tip and and not only filled the cylinder with shrapnel, but started torching the piston.

All of this was precipitated by the crank gear slipping.

Mark.

Had a first gen drop a timing case bolt into the cam/crank gears at idle. Totally stock truck. Took it apart and everything looked fine on initial look. Stuck the bolt back in and it drove 500 miles totally fine before the keyway finally broke then all hell broke loose.

Since then I weld them all. Stock or not, doesn't matter they all get a shot of mig weld and have been fine.

Back