Welding rear differential tubes

Mig or 4099 rod. Pre heating with the tig could be a good idea as it will pull some of the impurities out.

If you are going to mig it, gonna need at least .035 wire IMHO

I took a torch burned the paint an junk off, wire wheeled it good then took 1/8 7018 an laid the coal to it lol been this way 5 years

I preheat to 300-400* and use 1/8" Ni-55 or 99 rod making 1" stitch welds on opposing sides and hitting it with the torch in between stitch welds. Post heat it, pean it, and wrap it in several welding blankets or burry it in hot sand for 8-12 hours and call it good.

I've also MIG-ed with pre and post heat, peaning ect but I never have consistant results.

Dana Spicers cast iron welds better than Chebby axles, and I've never touched an AAM yet.

Would u use same techniques on welding ends on tubes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk el jefa

What do you mean? The spindles?

Would you guess suggests the same process for welding 4-link brackets to the axle tubes?

Sent while twisting the throttle!

You can always mig the brackets to the tubes since you don't have to worry about the cast pumpkin. You can stick weld it as well.

Would u use same techniques on welding ends on tubes?

Putting ends on you need the tools to hold it, and even then still if you can't make the complete passes right the tube will move.
Then you'll need a press and fixtures to straighten it

Would you guess suggests the same process for welding 4-link brackets to the axle tubes?

Same as above, when you weld them on the tube will move and you put all brackets, and welding tubes and trussing on before you do the ends.

This was the failure and the cause of the massive twist from my Black Pro Street truck that Bean now has. It twisted the tube from the center section of the 9". I feel bad that I had not welded it, but truthfully I just never had that failure before and didn't think to. He fixed that problem the correct way by installing a fab 9 housing like I run in my door car. But I agree welding them would be fine and a great idea, I'd prob use the tig with a S07 rod but no reason the mig with simualar wire wouldn't be just as good. imo

Back