welding rockwell

700rmk

Green Behind the Ears
Welding in a 106 this sat ,was wondering if I should tilt my pinion up a bit or have it level? oem transfer this season,hopfuly a dropbox next winter.:evil
thanks

make everything as straight as possible. next winter you may have to cut the rear loose to align with the dropbox

Disturbed when you say straight do you mean weld it so everything is running parralell with the frame or....??

0 degrees for a big driveline. Make sure everything from the engine to the rear is parallel to the framerails. with an OEM transfer case the optimum degree would be opposite of what the engine trans is. So if the engine in the stock mounts is set at say 3 degrees then make sure your pinion is raked up 3 degrees. This splits the load equally between the u-joints.

-Tom

Not sure what you mean by rakeing it opposite,so lets say the motor sits in at 3*from the frame,the front of the motor being the highest point.You would angle the pinion towards the ground??
thanks

X2. You need to weld it in to where you have the least amount of angle between the drive shaft and the output shaft of the T-case and the pinion, basically making the pinion, driveshaft and output shaft on the T-case as straight inline as possible. If you have to you may try to lower the tranny mount to get a straighter angle to the rearend yolk.

Don't get the drive shaft too strait, the ujoints need to work a bit or they will get flat spots on the cross where the bearings ride! Been there and done that!

This is the way I understand drive line angles. I know it's a crude sketch! LOL

Attachments

• Axle alignment.jpg
    Axle alignment.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 32
Don't get the drive shaft too strait, the ujoints need to work a bit or they will get flat spots on the cross where the bearings ride! Been there and done that!

That is true on a street vehicle, but no more than what this truck is going to move, I wouldn't worry about flat spotting the u-joints that much. Less angle on the driveline = less loss of power through the drivetrain.

So whats more importent
A.Keeping the yokes at the same angle
B. Keeping the rear yoke at the same angle as the driveshaft.
I didnt think I can do both unless I drop the the transfer
thanks

That is true on a street vehicle, but no more than what this truck is going to move, I wouldn't worry about flat spotting the u-joints that much. Less angle on the driveline = less loss of power through the drivetrain.

Actully it's worse on a puller...much more strain on the ujoint, caps,bearings! I had trouble with my puller flat spotting the ujoints with the drive shaft running strait!!! I moved the rear pinion down just a little and the problem went away.

So whats more importent
A.Keeping the yokes at the same angle
B. Keeping the rear yoke at the same angle as the driveshaft.
I didnt think I can do both unless I drop the the transfer
thanks

The "right" way to do it is to have the same angle on both ujoints. If the tcase ujoint is on a 10* angle, the rear end ujoint should have 10* I just used those angles for referance...i don't mean you should have 10*.

Back