Welding table

It is handy to have a fab table and not weld on it. You wouldn't believe what people try to weld with little buzz boxes. In the almost 20yrs. I've been a ticketed welder, I've pretty much seen it all and had to clean up a lot of it.

Do to budget constraints I may reduce the size to 1/2", but for those concerned I welded some 2" plate together last weekend.....this shouldnt be an issue.

Shame you weren't closer, I've got several different sizes and thicknesses of plate steel. Anything from a 1/8 to 1 inch.

Do a search for welding tables on the Garage Journal forum, get comfy, and read for a few days. You'd be amazed at what the guys over there come up with. The way they document and explain everything is great too.

The Garage Journal

Do a search for welding tables on the Garage Journal forum, get comfy, and read for a few days. You'd be amazed at what the guys over there come up with. The way they document and explain everything is great too.

The Garage Journal

They have some over the top projects on that site. Pretty cool place.

1 1/2" thick
5'x10'
Came out of a hot oil press and I can run water through it to help keep cool when I have a large weld goin on to better as a heat sink
I recomend using 3"x1/4" in 6 legs and flip then get everything flat and X it or tie legs together to maintain rigidiness
And keep legs in deep enough for good clamping on corners
I also found a couple holes through it help while fitting some things
I plan on putting drawers under it to hold clamps and welding consumables
Over coarse they'll be tucked under far enough to maintain the clamping area
Oh and have 2"x8" casters on it so a couple guys can move it around
And a good grounding lug for good connections

Last edited:
ba6ymete.jpg

The welding table at work 4x7 5/8 carbon steel plate

My table is about 5'x10' its maybe a little too large sometimes but will hold Damn near anything. I moved it in with a tractor and haven't moved it since. I'll try and get some pics tomorrow.

Whatever size you do choose, take the top plate in to a water jet service and have a hole grid put in it. This way you can drop in JIGS anywhere on the table and use bolts to clamp projects down. I just had mine done for a 7/16-14 heli coil.

Whatever size you do choose, take the top plate in to a water jet service and have a hole grid put in it. This way you can drop in JIGS anywhere on the table and use bolts to clamp projects down. I just had mine done for a 7/16-14 heli coil.

^^^^^^^^this

Bringing this back up to get some more discussion going. I was thinking about using this as an excuse to buy a mag drill and make the hole grid.

The debate between 1" and 1/2" plate for the top is still eating at me.

Unless you're building something real heavy or doing some heavy hammer work, I think 1/2" would be adequate.

Any advantages to A36 alloy vs regular carbon plate?

Now thinking C 6 x 8.2 for a 6.5x3.5' frame under the table.

Any advantages to A36 alloy vs regular carbon plate?

Now thinking C 6 x 8.2 for a 6.5x3.5' frame under the table.

For what you're doing, there is no practical difference. Get on with it!!

Back