Well I did my good deeds today and it Cost me :(

WickedSmoke

Blow Smoke Past You!
Well I am working 7 days a wk 12hrs a day and because of the weather in our area they let us go today at lunch time in the middle of a blizzard. So on my way home I seen ppl stuck and in ditch's all over the place so I stopped and started helping ppl get out. after about 12 cars and trucks and a loaded semi then 2 police officers that were nice guys I over heated my trans and smoked the clutch's. So after letting the trans cool off I limped it home in 1st gear only. I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and supposedly has a decently built trans in it which is now junk :bang

So time for a real built billet trans and triple disc. Just tiring to decide who parts to buy or trans. And should I put a good flex plate in it as well? I do plan on building the truck some in time.

O and I didn't even charge a dollar to any of the ppl I helped. :kick:

Sorry to hear about the trans. One question and it's just out of curiosity. Were you keeping the trans in first gear or were you allowing it to shift while pulling people out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping it in 4x4 high and 1st gear. Doing small jerks never went over 2800rpm with a 6" 25ft snap strap and 2 clevises..

But it was 1 after another for about 2 hours. Only thing I could think of was the heat or the trans was already weak idk. Now it won't shift at all. And fluid is Black with lots of clutch dust in it. When i got home the dip stick was so hot i could have stuck it threw my tire and popped it..

Sorry to hear that. I was asking bc a few years ago I pulled a semi off a curb and onto the shoulder in snow. I used 4low 1st gear but I had to snatch it a couple times to get it rolling moving since it blew out two drive tires. Seems like you just over worked yours and the cooler couldn't keep up. Good luck with the rebuild but sorry it had to happen so soon.

Sorry to hear that. I was asking bc a few years ago I pulled a semi off a curb and onto the shoulder in snow. I used 4low 1st gear but I had to snatch it a couple times to get it rolling moving since it blew out two drive tires. Seems like you just over worked yours and the cooler couldn't keep up. Good luck with the rebuild but sorry it had to happen so soon.

Thanks.. Yeah sucks for sure. I would have rather just drove my 950 Cat loader home today. Lol

But it was 1 after another for about 2 hours. Only thing I could think of was the heat or the trans was already weak idk. Now it won't shift at all. And fluid is Black with lots of clutch dust in it. When i got home the dip stick was so hot i could have stuck it threw my tire and popped it..

I've got a friend that plows snow. He has a tranny temp gauge. He says in hi range the temps take off and don't stop. Low range temps are good. Just a fyi.

Use low range, your convertor is building lots of heat in high range. Plus low range is much easier on the clutches in the transmission.

Last edited:
Use low range, your convertor is building lots of heat in high range. Plus low range is much easier on the clutches in the transmission.

My first thought....drove home yesterday at 80 mph for almost 2 hours and tranny temp was 92F when I got home. How the hell can anyone overheat a tranny is this cold crap!!! LOL

Like said, you would have been way better off in 4low. It would have been easier on the trans even if you let it shift while in 4low. Lesson learned, no trans is bulletproof if you treat it poorly.

Thanks guys..

I will find out here in a few days if it was a stock trans or it was built at all. I think the trans was weak already. But who knows. Either way it happened and now I will have a all billet good trans in it.

x2 on Firepunk, heard nothing but good out of that shop, and they aren't too far of a drive for ya!!!

if your wanting to spend the dough and just get it done at once, id go with a firepunk, but if your on a budget like I was, I went with dtt and it has held up so far

Back