Well Sh*t!!

zukgod1

Old fart
Ok so a few months ago I bought a mega cab, love it.

I had posted shortly after I bought it that I was concerned about the low boost #'s while cruising as the truck I just sold was 10+ at say 65mph and this truck was at 2-3 psi under the same conditions.

Well ran fine so I just kept going, started to get cold and had a couple hard starts in the mornings until it warmed up (or was plugged in) so I knew I need to get the injectors replaced.
Had been talking with Cameron at Utah Diesel Center and finally decided on a set of 125's.
Well the week it was to be done it ate #5 and 6 pistons.

Decided to go ahead and do the 6.7 swap but that's another thread/story.

Got the old engine out and removed the studs for the 6.7, decided to go ahead and lift the head off and take a look.
Well #6 looks like fresh carnage but #5 looks like it has been bad for a long time so I Decided to look at it closer.

Well it dawned on me those massive piston parts had to go somewhere when they fell off, whats downstream from the engine you ask? Good question, it would be a rather large spinny thingy, well I have a cool camera system that I can stick in small places (your nasty) so thought I would take a look at the exhaust side of the turbo.

Found rather large chunks of piston in there and upon dis-assembly I found the exhaust wheel to be destroyed.
So add on yet another $1800.00 to the already staggering price to repair this thing.

I think I may throw up.

20121212_094307.jpg

20121212_094301.jpg

How hard was it to start? You're making me paranoid about mine.... But I have the ~10 psi interstate so there's some peace of mind

How hard was it to start? You're making me paranoid about mine.... But I have the ~10 psi interstate so there's some peace of mind

No problem starting at all, always fired right up. Had a couple coughs when cold but always cleared up within a couple min.

Boost isn't a indicator your injectors are good..

I wouldn't have had a boost issue had the pistons not fell apart and ate the exhaust wheel.

20121213_063204.jpg

fair point. Looks like i'll be borrowing a borescope just to check haha, mine always fires up but occasionally has a nasty shake or two when starting cold

No other cause than fuel delivery imbalance.

Can you tell the health of the engine or injectors by having a dealer run this test?

It seems like the 03-05 motors had a lot more trouble with this than 06-07. Is that right?

Mine has a little cough and stumble on a cold start, normally does it two times right after it starts. Within the first 5 seconds or so. But I've also got cracked rings and I'm still driving it just to see how long it will last.

Mine has a little cough and stumble on a cold start, normally does it two times right after it starts. Within the first 5 seconds or so. But I've also got cracked rings and I'm still driving it just to see how long it will last.

That's brilliant, so you are more than likely going to need your block bored after running broken rings. So far every common rail I've had apart that had a broken ring had a groove in the cylinder wall from the ring that wouldn't just hone out.

Duhfaq

Can you tell the health of the engine or injectors by having a dealer run this test?

It seems like the 03-05 motors had a lot more trouble with this than 06-07. Is that right?

I would like to know what dealer tests injectors the proper way. A dealer can only find out if you have high return rates or do cylender cut out tests. But really can't pin point which injector has a high return rate unless they guess a bit.

That's brilliant, so you are more than likely going to need your block bored after running broken rings. So far every common rail I've had apart that had a broken ring had a groove in the cylinder wall from the ring that wouldn't just hone out.

I'm not concerned about it...it had broken rings when I bought it, that's why I got it for the price I did. The previous owner put about 30K on it this way and I see no reason to fix it when it runs perfectly fine and makes no odd noises. Especially when I've got a good short block ready to go in when and if the need arises.

saw one recently that had been run so long on cracked rings that it gouged the cylinder wall deep enough to shove the piston over and allow ring chunks to get hammered into the top of the piston and deck of the head.

took me a minute to figure out WTF I was looking at! LOL

I had one this summer come in that had enough melted off of the top of one piston to let the top ring loose. It broke it to at least 20 pieces and those pieces ended up in every cylinder. It looked like cylinder 2 had been sand blasted. They were stamped into the pistons and deep marks in the head, some of the ring pieces were still in the intake plenum as well as a few went through the turbo. That one was working on self destruct as the owner asked me to put a new injector in it because that was the problem. I told him "yeah, that was the problem at a certain point"

Back