What does a 12v/th350 combo drive like?

c_houchins8_182

Picking up a 12v/th350 this weekend that I found for my 72 C10. Leaning towards sliding it in and using the stock trans mount and just fabbing up engine mounts but a few people who I have talked to (and already kind of believe them) say that I am going to hate the 350/12v combo. What do you guys think that have driven them before? Obviously this is going to have to stay at stock power levels as to not tear anything up.

There is a guy running a th400 non lockup behind a ve pump twin turbo 12v c10 in the 11.50 range. I will try to track down his name. Very fun/cheap/impressive setup no billet crap or big check book.

Please do and tell me more. I'm not looking to set records, but with a truck this light I'd love to give it a little more pep just to make it even more fun. I think it'd be a hell of a lot of fun tuned up to 350 or 400 horse if it can be done for minimal money, especially in the transmission.

I'd definitely go to a 400 before building crossmembers and drivelines, they're cheap and way stronger than a 350. I don't see how it's going to be much different than a 727, smooshy and gear bound.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I'd find a 400 turbo unless you plan to put some money into the 350 turbo they can't handle the torque.

I'd definitely go to a 400 before building crossmembers and drivelines, they're cheap and way stronger than a 350. I don't see how it's going to be much different than a 727, smooshy and gear bound.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

In stock form maybe...

built th400s are still stronger than th350s. or talking about the cheap factor?

built th400s are still stronger than th350s. or talking about the cheap factor?

A th350 can be built stronger than most think.
And if memory serves me correctly you usually save about 25hp

A th350 can be built stronger than most think.
And if memory serves me correctly you usually save about 25hp

i came from the gas side. i know they can be set up very well, same goes for a 400. 400s do sap up hp. hell with it put a power glide in.

i came from the gas side. i know they can be set up very well, same goes for a 400. 400s do sap up hp. hell with it put a power glide in.

Gas side is where my little bit of knowledge comes from. I'm not pushing him toward anything just stating a little point.

And to hell with a glide lol. I don't know if I've just always been around the wrong ones but I've never liked them. Lol

oh i know. neither am i really. i prefer lock up after having it lol.

buddy has one in a dragster that works ok. bit different than what a tractor engine would behave like with one.

I think your friend is going to be proven correct. You're using a small 3 speed automatic behind an engine designed to work at low rpms. You will definately need to leave the engine at stock hp levels. If you want to drive this thing on the highway at highway speeds, you'll need a pretty tall gear ratio in the axles, to make up for the lack of overdrive, but that means it's going to lug more pulling a load. You'll need a big trans cooler to control the extra heat this will cause if you plan to pull and you could use a 3200 GSK to give you a bit more speed for the highway

Ed

My plan is to run a 3.42 or something high. Not sure what is exactly even available for those axles. I did pick up a TH400 for it yesterday too.

Years ago my brother had a 88V30 crew cab with a 350hp VE12v. It ate TH400's and even broke the NP205 twice. The TH400 had a lot of heavy duty parts in it for the time, and even an allison converter. The torque from the cummins just ate the converters up. Granted, he was sled pulling and driving like a college kid so it saw abuse. You'll need to spend a good chunk of change to get the TH400 to live if you plan to up the power and beat on it. If you leave it near stock and drive it decent, it will last for a while though.

Back