What is a donor worth?

90dodge

Always Broke
I hate asking these kind of questions, but I need some first hand advice that I can't seem to find in past threads.

I got the okay from the woman to do the engine swap in my 95 z71, and I've been looking around at trucks I could buy as a donor for the 6.6/Allison swap into my truck. I'm tired of seeing lsx swaps, and want a reason to go to more NHRDA events so duramax it is. Seeing as I will need all the drivetrain wiring, dash, and engine/trans, what is a truck worth?

I found a 4x4 02 for 3500 that they believe needs a cp3 or injectors. How does this compare to just piecing together the parts? (Everything will be a full build)

Well, what is the plan for the truck?
New CP3 roughly $800+, so factor that in.
If it turns out the issue is injectors, but you're going to run larger % anyway, then thats pretty much a wash.
I bought a 2004 LB7 truck for $3000 that had been in a bad wreck but the drivetrain was still good. Got the truck home, bypassed the broken trans cooler and drove it around the yard. Smoothest-running LB7 I have ever heard. Sold the Tcase for $500. So deals are out there.

Dual pumps, built bottom end, large twins or even triples, injectors, intake manifold. Pretty much break the bank build. This will be something I don't want to cut corners with. The axles and transmission will be left alone on the donor, as I'll only be swapping the rear end out on mine for a 14 bolt 6 lug.

I figured if it really is injectors or cp3, it wouldn't matter to me. I'm just not interested in ending up with a trashed block or heads.

Back