what is better than a dana 60?

Roger Zeedyk

For a open driveline class what is everyone using in the front? A dana 60 with all the goodies or something else? F106? If something else is used how is it mouted? How well are the Dana 60's holding up in a 3.0 or unlimited single class? I do not like fixing things all the time. Just want to do it wright once! Thanks

I ran stock axles in my D60 up to this year and had only broke 1 axle and that because my 106 busted a ring and pinion. I put moser axles in d60 and havent had any problems. Dont really need a 106 up front unless you are going to strap cepek's on it, but with that said the axle under my truck now came out of a diesel that ran cepeks and hadnt broken the moser axles in it so i would just stick with the 60. The problem with put a 106 up front is the hog head is centered in the axles so you will have to lift the front of the truck for it to clear the oil pan.

I ran stock axles in my D60 up to this year and had only broke 1 axle and that because my 106 busted a ring and pinion. I put moser axles in d60 and havent had any problems. Dont really need a 106 up front unless you are going to strap cepek's on it, but with that said the axle under my truck now came out of a diesel that ran cepeks and hadnt broken the moser axles in it so i would just stick with the 60. The problem with put a 106 up front is the hog head is centered in the axles so you will have to lift the front of the truck for it to clear the oil pan.

I tink several of the mods are running th d60, if you go bigger up front, that means less weight you can put on the weight bar.

I tink several of the mods are running th d60, if you go bigger up front, that means less weight you can put on the weight bar.

I personally would see an advantage to going with something heavier up front just to get more actual weight pushing down those front tires because no mater how much weight you have on the front end of the truck...when the chain pulls the rear down the weight bar is going up meaning you are unloading the front diff so the more weight there in the axle means you are getting more traction.

My way of thinking anyway. I think that is the reason you will see the rule "no counter weights permited in the drive train" in some rules.

Ryan

I personally would see an advantage to going with something heavier up front just to get more actual weight pushing down those front tires because no mater how much weight you have on the front end of the truck...when the chain pulls the rear down the weight bar is going up meaning you are unloading the front diff so the more weight there in the axle means you are getting more traction.

My way of thinking anyway. I think that is the reason you will see the rule "no counter weights permited in the drive train" in some rules.

Ryan

x2!!!

Ryan
Water in the tires, just a thought

Ryan

There isnt much difference in weight between the D60 and F106. I know for a fact that the D80 rear is heavier then F106. When you factor the PITA it is to put a 106 in the front of a frame truck its not worth it. The amount of down force on the tires between the 2 wont enough to tell

There isnt much difference in weight between the D60 and F106. I know for a fact that the D80 rear is heavier then F106. When you factor the PITA it is to put a 106 in the front of a frame truck its not worth it. The amount of down force on the tires between the 2 wont enough to tell

So what is the max axle shaft dia and spline count you can go with a D60 on our dodges? Also, is it a stock 106 front end they are using or something else custom?

For the ultimate Dana60 whats it going to take and how much $$$ are we talking about.

Ryan

35 spline Moser's is pretty much what everybody ive talked to are running, dont know of any that have broke with cepeks but im sure they have. not sure on the cost but nothing is cheap. found the link Moser Engineering

Attachments

• 1230081455.jpg
    1230081455.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 51
  • 1230081455a.jpg
    1230081455a.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 65
so with the info then on the D60...how does the 106 compare for a front axle shaft wise. I believe the guys up here with there gasser super mods are running military axles but I could be wrong

Problem with the military axles are they are almost alway course splined which are weaker. I have 2 sets of military fronts and rears here i will measure them tomorrow. I dont remember about the 106 but what some have done is weld the military outer to a D60 or D70 front because the outers on the Dana's are some what weak in stock form

When you say the D80 is heavier than the f106 do you mean a stock 106 or with aftermarket parts?

IMO a good set of 35 spline axles will hold, after that the gears become the weak spot, the ring gear in a 60 is IIRC 9 1/4... But in a puller your not loading the front hard enough to break a built 60! Look at what a stock dodge front is holding and they are 30 spline 1.31"...

IMO a good set of 35 spline axles will hold, after that the gears become the weak spot, the ring gear in a 60 is IIRC 9 1/4... But in a puller your not loading the front hard enough to break a built 60! Look at what a stock dodge front is holding and they are 30 spline 1.31"...

D60 is 9.75", and yes with 300m ujoints and good spline 35 shafts r&p is the weak link, next is to cryo the ring gear, you can also get 40 spline inner shafts, Im not sure about stub shafts.

Not at high speed.

Dynatrac makes a Dana 80 front but you could probably have a 106 built for the same price.

Please explain Ive run water in the front tires off roading and have reach wheel speed of at least 45mph going to the trail w/ out issue.

D60 is 9.75", and yes with 300m ujoints and good spline 35 shafts r&p is the weak link, next is to cryo the ring gear, you can also get 40 spline inner shafts, Im not sure about stub shafts.

Sorry for my short memory!:doh: but your wright on the ring gear size! Iv heard about the 40 spline axles for a 60 but what do ya do with the carrier were the axles go in, is there room for a bigger axle? Or do ya have to machine the hole out bigger?