What is more effective? Water/Air intercooler or water injection?

I have a couple of questions as I haven’t run a air/water system before.

If you have a couple of hot cylinders running lets say 150 to 200 degrees hotter then the other 4 cylinders how can you correct that with air/water system?

Wouldn’t you be maximizing performance if you kept the difference in temps between all cylinders as close as possible?

If you push air through the Air/water system at high boost 80-100psi does it really cool the charge air that much in the amount time it passes through the system?

Again don’t anything about the air/water system just asking and if I can answer any question in regards to the injection system I have I will.

Oh yeah, if its for sled pulling aren't the sled puling rules going to dictate which system you can even use? or is this in conjuction with the threads strated about allowing water injection in the 2.6 / 2.8 classes

BBD

Im guessing that if they allow water injection, they will/should allow air/water intercoolers. Same goes if they allow air/water they will/should allow injection.

Even an OEM CAC will cool the charge air temp by hundreds of degrees Fahrenheit at 50psi... air-air heat exchanging can't be discounted, but it isn't nearly as effective as air-liquid CACs (or ICs with compounds) - especially with the ability to cool charge air below ambient with refrigerated coolant.

Water injection is still a good idea to allow yet more overfueling and to enable EGT tuning/cylinder.

Ok but which would add more HP? Air to water intercooler, or Water/Meth injection???

My view is simple. BBD & SCHEID are both kicking everybodys azz. Run what they are running!!!! BBD has a great point on the individual cylinder tuneing. I hope to hear a answer.

Im looking more towards a 2.6/2.8 setup not pro mod!

And i know before the flamming begings! Water injection is not allowed in the 2.6 class so remember the actual ? i asked

more hp with air to water but to control each cylinder you will need water injection still I run both

Even an OEM CAC will cool the charge air temp by hundreds of degrees Fahrenheit at 50psi

Tested that years ago in a stock intercooler.......280 degree drop at 50 psi!

Jim

What is more effective for controlling EGT's?

A water/air intercooler being fed ice water from a cooler in the bed or a high pressure water injection system 500-600 psi with 3 or 4 nozzles?

Simply the answer is water, no question.

We had 2 trucks set up similar. One with air to water and one with air to air. Both trucks had Data loggers on them. The pre intercooler temps where the same (500 deg) as you would expect and the post where about 100 deg cooler with the air to water (250 A/A vs. 150 A/W). The EGT's where about the same on both trucks. The benefit of spraying water is there is no restriction of air going thru the intercooler.

i would say injecting water before air/water you would cool the air by alot and i dont think you have to worry about the water pooling in the inter cooler do to the hi temps of the air before the intercooler but thats just my opinion

Is the Water injection you all are talking about a Water/Methanol mix or just Water?

I am going to try water to air intercooler and water injection this year,
thanks to joe and garrett @pure diesel power

Just wondering which one would make more power! But i think im going to go a whole different route insted! dont feel like taking an ice maker to every pull!

Just wondering which one would make more power! But i think im going to go a whole different route insted! dont feel like taking an ice maker to every pull!

At least then we would always have ice for the coolers:Cheer:

hot intake air + water = steam. The steam actually helped pushing the piston down as it tries to expand, or at least this is what was explained to me by a very knowledgable individual. I would say that both have there place. My guess would be air to water would help cool intake charge more effectively and water injection would make more power over all.

Back