what is rev gain?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
keep hearing this term thrown around when talking about nitrous and pulling etc.

is this a joke term or a real thing that happens and if so what the heck is it.

Oh man, its real. Those that have it, wont tell you how to get it. Those that don't, want it. There is only a select few in this world that possess the knowledge of how to make diesel engines rev gain. Its a whole other kind of crazy power. :bow:

Engines with Rev Gain are usually set up for drag racing. Sledpullers with their "old guard" engines don't seem to have much use for it. Though secretly inside, I think they really ache understand its magic and wonder how much further they would pull if only, only, they had just one millijoul of Rev gain.

:hehe:

Rev gain is the shiz nitty schiz nizzle...once you get some you'll wonder why you waited so long....make sure to get the billet knob to go with it.....bling is good too. LOL

I installed an adjustable rev gain device on my 12V, I can now use it for drag racing and sled pulling without having to do any real mechanical work. All I have to do is turn a knob and adjust how much rev gain I want.

Our company is working on a universal fit rev gain box that can be retrofitted to any engine regardless of displacement, turbo etc. It will be able to be fit to any diesel engine except the new 6.4 IH with very little trouble.

Look for it by late summer.

Rev gain is the ability of an engine to accelerate overcoming its own internal rotating mass and producing usable power. With out this ability an engine will not achieve maximum potential as a drag racing engine. It’s not needed in sled pulling why? a Sled puller starts at maximum RPM and as it moves down the track , it pulls then motor backwards down the rpm scale

Take a given engine combination, and do compressive dyno testing. We always start with a baseline slow pull using a stair step ramp leveling out at each rpm; the results will produce a given amount of power. This is usually to check oil pressure and look for any problems. Now the testing really begin , set the dyno accelerate to 300 RPMs per second , the engine will lose a good percentage of power , this because a bigger part of the total power the engine makes is used to accelerate the engine .

Now really make things interesting turn the knob to 600 rpm’s per second ramp, almost the rate a light weight diesel race vehicle will experience in first gear pull. Why is this important? The first foot is the best chance to improve the ET of any drag racing vehicle, the next foot is the next best chance to continue the quest to turn in a lower ET. If the engine has to experience an acceleration rate of 600 RPMs per second then you have to do everything possible to make then engine produce more power under those condition.
One thing to conceder is that the higher the rate of acceleration the power is less, and so is the cylinder pressure , this is the time to toss the kitchen sink at the tune, meaning you can turn up the tuning parameters that if present at a steady state rpm or a lesser rpm gain would become descriptive . This can gain you back some of this power. In Pro Stock and other maximum effort engine programs, the tune is set to a particular rate of acceleration for each gear .

Many on here have advocated that if any of the fast trucks were to lose weight down the weight I ran at, they would have easily eclipsed my performances, the problem with that, and I’m sure some will be finding out soon is it doesn’t work that way, as you ask these engines to accelerate the amount of power at that accelerate rate goes down considerably . What was a 1000 hp becomes significantly less. The diesel already doesn’t like being asked to do this, so there are ways to mask this,

thanks for the better explanation. If my mind is working correct, the reason a higher rev gain setup "shows" less power is because a certain amount of the actual power being produced is being used to accelerate the moving parts in the engine instead of impressing the dyno. The power is still there, but it's being used in the rotating assmebly instead.

Does that make sense, or am I not thinking clearly through all my medication? :)

George

Last edited:
The requirements of the race car are the reason you have to build an engine to have better acceleration rates. We don’t build an engine to do this simply to be different, but to work the way it’s required to do in a maximum effort Race car. You hear all the time that the turbo’s would not light because the dyno, or the gear would not load them, its nothing more then the motor would not keep up with the load running away .

How do you build a engine to better accelerate or “Rev Gain “ well air flow, air flow, and more air flow. Short but aggressive cam timing, the cam is an essential part of this combination, tune that will let the engine load quickly. Conservative Timing, small lines, DV a big pump with a small amount of rack. Tight turbine housing, with a big waste gate.

gstanfield said:
I installed an adjustable rev gain device on my 12V, I can now use it for drag racing and sled pulling without having to do any real mechanical work. All I have to do is turn a knob and adjust how much rev gain I want.

Our company is working on a universal fit rev gain box that can be retrofitted to any engine regardless of displacement, turbo etc. It will be able to be fit to any diesel engine except the new 6.4 IH with very little trouble.

Look for it by late summer.

Does it look like this?

soundboard-blue.jpg

:lolly: :lolly: I found a site for RevGain But it seems that you need a password,anybody want to share??

REVGAIN

:lolly:

Michael

satburn said:
Does it look like this?

soundboard-blue.jpg

Hey Satburn, would you mind turning Comp's mic channel down a little? :kick: :hehe: Just kiddin'. I won't jump on the Compy Bashing Bandwagon. He's had his nuts kicked enough lately. Thanks for the detailed info dude.

Back