What is the diff between a "true" 215HP pump and one that has been "built"?

Dave88LX

What is the diff between a "true" 215HP pump and one that has been "built"?

Sorry for the seemingly dumb question but I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on this.

Background: gov arm lever adjusting bolt/nut fell down in the pump, screwed up some stuff in there like the governor studs I assume. Now revs to the moon, idles like crap, likes to shut-down after a good romp, have to 'help' it start by blipping the throttle, no off-idle power etc. Took out the pump, had the bolt/nut removed, put back together, put back into the truck, and it runs like this. I've been driving it like this for the last year or so, and I'm about tired of it.

Calling around pricing out pumps and talking to a few different shops. I have a '97 5spd, so it has the 215HP pump.

What is the difference between an actual 215 pump (which I have), and just buying a pump that has been 'internally modified' and rated to ~300HP (like the $700-$800 eBay pumps)? I asked (Pensacola Diesel) if it was just a cam plate and they said there are some internal mods.

Whenever I mention 215 pump, everyone's eyes light up like dollar signs it seems.

For $825, free shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodg...010QQitemZ200117444027QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I can buy this pump which he said is rated at ~300 HP. I'm guessing it doesn't "start" out as a 215 pump though? For an extra $300 core I can keep my 215 pump.

Am I better off just buying that 'whatever' pump rated at 300HP, or sending off MY true 215 to have rebuilt?

I'm not understanding.

Piers says core on a 215 is $1200-$1500. Screw that. If I can keep it for $300 and get a good performaning pump for the $800 range then I damn sure will.

Objectives: Street driven truck, I run it down the (drag) track now and then. I'm just a gearhead that loves power, smoke is not an issue (I've got it all turned up as it is). Bigger turbos are a future plan. I don't pull a sled. Pull a trailer occassionally though (race car to the track).

Should I take out my pump and send it to a reputable rebuilder so I get my 215 back to me? Maybe I don't need a whole new (or reman) pump, who knows.

I'm in Pasadena, MD.

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas?:bow:

Darn, no edit button. I was going to add I have a tad over 300K miles on my pump if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to get ahold of Doug @ PDW, since he's just over the border in PA; but if anyone has any other reccomended places or ideaRs, my ears are open.

Any idea on the cost of that? I was telling someone else I just hate to pay $500 to fix the gov, when I could have a whole 'new' pump for a couple hundred more. I hate overanalyzing. Sorry. Just hard to part with this much money without knowing I'm for sure doing the best thing.

i hate to tell you this, but what i have learned is that most pump rebuilds still use your stock plungers and barrels. so i really do not know what they do beside calibrate the pump, and tell you it is a rebuild. i found this out when i was going to send a 215 pump in for a rebuild. the price went way up when i told them i had a couple stuck plungers. and they use you same camshaft.

Last edited:
You trying to make me suicidal or what here man! (joke!) I kind of found the same thing out when I asked about a rebuild on my pump, I guess the price goes up when they have to replace hard parts. My guess is that there are certain wear items, seals, whatever that get replaced in a rebuild, and the rest has to be bought extra. Hell when I asked about buying a pump from a couple places, they told me I had to pay cash on top of my 215 pump because it wasn't a "good" core because of the studs in the governor.

Exactly...I had Garmon tune my 913 pump, and found out it had a stuck plunger. He makes a phone call, and for another $500 I get it fixed. Unless there's something wrong, they aren't gonna throw parts at it just to see what happens!

Chris

How can you find out if you have a stuck plunger without removing the pump? My truck will be back from paint by monday and i want to do more tinkering with it(if i can find anything other then the high rpm stop on the outside) and while i was in there i would check if i could.

Back