What makes the special turbo's so special?

Nootch

nosprkreqrd
I have seen in the for sale sections 2.6 and 3.0 turbo's going for top dollar. I understand that anything that is "race" is not synonymous with "cheap".

But take for instance. the Haisley hx80 that 01PPUMP is selling, what makes that charger different than a standard Holset HX80.

is it just a matter of fit/finish on the compressor and exhaust side? modified shafts and bearings?

Just more or less curious as to what. puller turbo different than a standard conventional.

It's been custom cut and assembled for a certain set of rules.

Sent via USPS 2 weeks ago

IE the 2.6" and 3.0" which as far as i understand is the initial diameter of the compressor wheel where at the inlet of the turbo housing?

Its about collecting expensive parts, parts that have been out of production for 20years, a few custom pieces, and knowing which pieces to put together. One turbo can be built for less but to mass produce, it calls for buying expensive parts from Holset/Cummins Turbo Systems.

Its about collecting expensive parts, parts that have been out of production for 20years, a few custom pieces, and knowing which pieces to put together. One turbo can be built for less but to mass produce, it calls for buying expensive parts from Holset/Cummins Turbo Systems.

The above points are very valid. Also these shops also have their time and money on the dyno to develop these parts. You can spend a lot of time and money trying to replicate what you can buy from these shops.

so less of massaging the factory, but putting in as much good stuff into a factory cartridge?

Shops have a lot of time and money invested in R&D on compressor wheel and cover designs. Consider the amount of time and money spent making the different wheels and covers, and then the time and money spent dyno testing them, then add in the fact that the market for that particular turbo is fairly small. You're not just paying for a finished product, you're paying for everything it took to get the product to the final stage.

When I was on the dyno, the last 45hp was gained from a $3500 turbo to a $5000 turbo. Most pullers figure that it's the extra 2-3" needed to win.

and you know a man will pay just about anything for an extra 2-3"

I still don't get how more power is the answer when you're just spinning in place at the end. Unless they're going for more speed/momentum during the middle of the run?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I still don't get how more power is the answer when you're just spinning in place at the end. Unless they're going for more speed/momentum during the middle of the run?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Yes. Power isn't everything, but its a lot of it.

And the ones that are only a couple hundres dollars, Ill bet if you lick them they taste like rice.

So what ? Good for Pro Stock Tractorpulling European Champion, should be good for us others too. Those special turbo shops buy their stuff from same places, their just want you to think they are made somewhere else to justify their prices.

So what ? Good for Pro Stock Tractorpulling European Champion, should be good for us others too. Those special turbo shops buy their stuff from same places, their just want you to think they are made somewhere else to justify their prices.

Its not the hard parts that make the prices go up. Of all the turbos we've tested and tried out. Those "special turbo places" hands down out perform box units with "billet" or "FMW" wheels. The higher prices come from cover machining, mix matching housings, (we all know those arent cheap), shaft machining, upgraded thrusts, yada yada yada. And yes "most" turbo places get thier wheels from the same places, but there are a few that do not. Hense the higher prices.

EDIT: Not too mention all the R&D they do to get the most out of a product. I know theres couple out there that spend quite a bit of money pretty often testing products and improving all the time.

Last edited:
When it's all said and done and you build a turbo to the exact same spec as a production model from even one of the "big box" diesel manufacturers (industrial, BD, ATS, ETC) it usually comes out to almost about the same, if not maybe a few hundred bucks less due to the convince of it being just clicked and shipped to your door. A while back I started pricing out buying a box unit S364 and then getting a gated housing (which is nearly the same price as externally gating these days) and Billet wheels, etc it still comes out to the prices you're looking at for a super B straight from BD. It's going to undeniably out perform a box unit. So yes, if you're looking for the most power available, you're going to have to pay for it. It's all just a matter of if you want a tried and true turbo, or something to tinker with your setup over and over. A lot of those 2.6 fitment turbos and such also have a lot of little tricks up their sleeves, so thats why they hold such a high price. Think about the man hours sometime put into figuring out how to get some of those big compressor wheels to fit into a 2.6 compressor and still flow enough air to make up for every last drop of the intake air restriction. Just my .02, but hey, everyone knows Ya gotta Pay to Play.

Back