What posi unit to buy.

KingS

Hey guys I know nothing about what ones are good or bad ect.

First I need to find out what gear ratio my rear end is since it doesn't say on the truck anywhere I know it is not a 410 but not sure if it is a 3.5 or 373 gear.

Second my 96 has the dana 70 open diff. I want to buy a posi unit to put in it for drag racing and just better traction on the street, The one wheel peel don't cut it to much power.

Can you guys point me in the right direction to what unit is the best to hold up and not break etc. Thanks for any help.

True track units are nice. The D70 is a bit weak. For not much more than the cost of a diff you could upgrade the rear axle to a much better 11.5 aam which came factory with a true track type diff. Your truck being a 2nd gen has either 4.10 or 3.55 gears. The 11.5 axles are either 4.10 or 3.73 and 3.55 is not an option.

Last edited:
That is exactly what I would like to put in my 96 an AAM axle like my 06 has.

True track units are nice. The D70 is a bit weak. For not much more than the cost of a diff you could upgrade the rear axle to a much better 11.5 aam which came factory with a true track type diff. Your truck being a 2nd gen has either 4.10 or 3.55 gears. The 11.5 axles are either 4.10 or 3.73 and 3.55 is not an option.

I keep hearing about this and I'm definitely interested in the AAM, is there a write up on what all is needed?

No write up that I know of. I've done other axle swaps and I'm fixing to do one of these directly. Its custom fab work. Cut, fit, weld, make it work. If you need 4 wheel ABS forget it. If you want 3.55 gears you're SOL. Drive shaft length need changed.... The jury is still out so 17" wheels may be required...

so the 96 trucks didn't come with 3.73 at all? my red 96 had 3.73 in it from the factory is why I ask, plus I have a dana 70 3.5 limited slip axle sitting under a 95 parts truck I am parting out.

What would I need to do to swap axle under my parts truck to put it on my truck. Sorry if that is a dumb question but I don't know much on rear end swaps or rear ends all together my 96 I have now is fourwheel drive to so I need to make sure if I swap that the gear ratio is right. Thanks again guys

go to 4wheeler dot com and search for power wagon axles, they just did a writeup on installing the aam axles in a 94-98 truck.

Your parts axle should be a direct swap, as long as your front is 3.54 . It should be though . to the best of my knowledge like stated above they only came in 3.54 and 4.10 . You don't have the placard under the hood anymore?

---
I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.300393,-121.971933"]Google Maps[/ame]

On my 96 the sticker under the hood has no writing on it at all for some reason. I know it isn't 4.10 gear.

I put a Dana 80 in mine, twisted a shaft off in the 70 first hook. Also interested in a locker. I am sure you have 3.54's. Should run about 2,000 rpm at 70.

ya it does run 2000 alittle under at 70 when I keep my foot out of it lol

Yeah in that case you are 3.54 , you can swap that parts truck LSD 70 in should work great .just on the weak side like stated above but way better then one wheeling rite now .

---
I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.244216,-122.079746"]Google Maps[/ame]

I just want something strong since I will be running 11.90 and 12.00 classes with it.

Yeah the 70 will never survive. Thats quite a bit faster than mine. I think I paid around $500 ish for my 80. Not sure but it wasn't too bad. Direct bolt up for me, plus the 70 had drums and the 80 has discs so nice little bonus there.

Also you would have to change the front axle ratio if you ran an AAM, if you can't get one with 3.54's.

why did your 70 not last? I know quite a few guys running 12.00 to low 11's with stock 70 rear ends. Just asking like I said I want to with something good my old 96 ran 12.5's with stock open diff. 70 with no problems to. Thanks again guys helpful info.

Not sure, it had 100k on it, truck was bone stock up to around 95k. Made 4 or 5 dragstrip passes all in 12's, and as I said first hook it grenaded. Did not build any boost, just rolled into it with the auto. Broke the driver side axle shaft clean off and the gears were chewed up bad with pieces broke off.

so the 96 trucks didn't come with 3.73 at all? my red 96 had 3.73 in it from the factory is why I ask, plus I have a dana 70 3.5 limited slip axle sitting under a 95 parts truck I am parting out.

What would I need to do to swap axle under my parts truck to put it on my truck. Sorry if that is a dumb question but I don't know much on rear end swaps or rear ends all together my 96 I have now is fourwheel drive to so I need to make sure if I swap that the gear ratio is right. Thanks again guys

Pretty sure 3.73 weren't available from the factory even in 1996 from dodge.

Back