what to look for

haz-mat19

I don't know anything about these 7.3's My buddy is looking at a 2000 crew cab 4x4. What are some thing to look for, what would keep you guys from buying it. It has 140k on it, that is about all I know.Thanks guys in advance

A bloated corpse in the back seat would be something to look out for.I dont think Id buy it if I found one of those,unless it was a really really good deal.

I would look for oil pan being rusted out and mostly oil leeks these 7.3 are pretty reliable. Also might check for shaft play. But other than that i think you should be ok.

Thanks, he is still looking around. I told him if he does get a Ford it should be a 7.3:Cheer:

Pull the air intake...the tips of the compressor blades will tell you a lot as to how much dirt the thing digested...unless the turbo was replaced, which could also be a good indicator of deeper problems. Ford did not build a very good air box and most people do not change air filters. If at all possible, start the truck cold, wait on the glow plugs and if it fires right off all is good, warm the engine to full operating temp then shut it off and wait a minute before restarting, if it starts ok the fuel system should be good.

Thanks guys, he is looking at a few different trucks right now, I will pass on the info

I doubt your buddy has a an AE or scanner of some type that can do a buzz test but since injectors are very expensive on these it may be worth it. Also abuse the tranny a bit an make sure its up to par. Other than that the 7.3 are probably one most reliable PU diesels other than a 12v.

Well thanks for all the advice, he got a truck and decided to go with a '99 2500 with a straight 6, I can kind of help him out now, but :thankyou2: again guys.

Back