What upgrades best for towing?

chrisc

ive got an 01 6-speed 2500, i tow an 80hp 4x4 tractor and big bushog through some pretty hilly country and was trying to see what the best towing upgrades would be to make more power and keep my truck cool. Ive got it straitpiped and a 75 hp programmer. this programmer sends the heat gauge up in a hard pull. I had played with the idea of a 4 inch dp and exhaust. Id also pthought bout 50-100 hp injectors and possible biggerr turbo. but i know more fuel equals more heat. any ideas or suggestions?

Welcome to RPM Outlet for the exhuast, get a cold air intake. Try turning the programmer down a little.
Im guessing you already have gauges, you could give that a try see hwo it does.

ive already got the intake, forgot to mention that. i figured a bigger downpipe and maybe a turbo mite keep my egts down a lil.

62/65/14 and something along the lines of 75-100hp injectors would be tits for cooling purposes..... you would need to keep up with fuel demands so an upgraded lift pump would be in order, and probably a clutch too...

I think I would go 62/71/12 before 62/65/14 for cooling... at least from my experience in running those two as top chargers the 71/12 was cooler then the 65/14...either will be much better then stock.

Lavon

i really appreciate this info guys. Ive already got a raptor pump but im not clued in yet enough on these turbo sizes. I know they have to do with how much they take in andput out, I think. are we talking bout an hx40? 35/40 hybrid? thats the only way ive ever identified them. Bare with me here im learnin.

You can run a boost elbow or zip tie the wastegate shut for a few more lbs of boost if you're running less than 30. 35/40 hybrid brings that number closer to 40, but still doesn't flow any more heat out. They are talking about s300 style turbos which typically run a less restrictive hx-40 downpipe.

I think I would go 62/71/12 before 62/65/14 for cooling... at least from my experience in running those two as top chargers the 71/12 was cooler then the 65/14...either will be much better then stock.

Lavon

I haven't ran a 12cm housing with the 71mm wheel, it seems like it would choke it though..... but the 71mm wheel has unmatched cooling

again, i appreciate the info guys. I may do some wastegate work, get a 4 inch downpipe and 4-inch exhaust for my stock turbo and save some money for now.

Back