What works what doesn't?

TheTowingCowboy

That Ford Guy
Howdy guys I will start off and say I have a 90,000 mile first gen engine going into a 1975 F250 4X4... Here is my 'Build thread'

Cummins into 75 F250 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Long and short is a cumming swap would be easier and be fun. I got the said engine for 1500 delivered to my door with a receipt signed to GUARANTEE the engine runs GOOD. So this whole CUMMINS thing is new to me I am a POWERSTROKE guy. Now from basic concept and theory and from my understanding here are the things I want to do to my truck, give CONSTRUCTIVE input. My money I will blow it however I want lol

First off from what I remember when I was in college and studied the design of the First/Second gen heads, the intake was set to far forward and your air was a lot hotter to the back cylinder (Number 6 Cylinder), and then I remembered the Banks Twin Ram intake, which allowed 'cooler' air to get to the back cylinders and 'Help' your EGT's.

My plan here is not to buy one but to.... (Wait for it) FAB ONE! I have a machine shop at my disposal, and my welding is pretty fair. So I planed on making one out of a piece of plate steel, and some 3 or 3.5 inch exhaust tubing. I planned on doing measure and figure our the center points for the front three and the back three cylinders. And use those cetner for the centers of my custom twin ram intake.

Second is fuel lines. I know injectors and pump have to be done but I seen these.

Oversize Stainless Fuel Injection Lines Dodge 12 Valve 5.9L Cummins Diesel

Has anyone had any experience with the .084 lines??? Those are the lines I wanna run if I stay with a VE pump (May do a P-Pump Conversion)

The third thing is a cam. I want a cam I can run with stock pistons, and will get the most performance out of it when pulling sled. I have a 500 HP goal but I may go further or just get what ever I get. IDK yet I am more worried about getting the engine in the truck and get it moving then add inthe power adders! So hoping to learn a lot and get Edumacated on this S***

EDIT: Can anyone send me in the direction of some place wher eI could get the stuff to do a P-Pump conversion to my first gen? Cause I can source the P-Pump just need everything else.

Lol hope the truck/engine stays simple and uses very little electronics.

Last edited:
First off, welcome to the real power by choosing a Straight tower of power lol 500hp goal with a VE is capable, but its not cheap or easy. Not like a P pump. Your theory on the split manifold and the back cylinders being the hottest is correct. That will help out alot. Oversized lines are more of a VP and P pump thing. You dont really need bigger lines with a VE, even a 14mm pump. It'd just make it lope at idle. Hamilton makes a good street cam, their 181/220( i believe thats the model) cam is good for using stock pistons. But just like any valve train upgrade, I'd recommend valve springs. What rpm's do you plan on running? with a P pump you'll have power up into the 5k range, VE-2700 to 3k range.

also, what year is the engine? is it non intercooled or intercooled?

Last edited:
Its a Non Intercooled but its getting a intercooler. and I seen that cam.... I thought if I have to do the springs and such, may take the head off and do some port work.. IDK But thanks for some help and I want to do a P-Pump conversion so bad but that will come ocne I got the engine in the truck and the truck can move under its own power, then its get parts and wait to throw them all on at once lol.

ok, because 500hp with a VE and a P7100 are different steps. get the truck up n going. Then do some research and use the search option on here. Its very helpful and the Mods get cranky if you just start posting lol Also look on Cumminsforum. lots of helpful guys there also.

Back