What would you do?

I thought he built it for somebody??

I really have no clue. I was going off of info that someone said in that thread. You would probably know more than me Jason.

Forgot to ask earlier JAyers93 if you thought about calling Empire Diesel and asking them what size pulley they're using for the procharger kits they are fabbing up for a cummins. They aren't selling them to the public yet, but the powerstroke and duramax procharger kits have been out for awhile now...

I really have no clue. I was going off of info that someone said in that thread. You would probably know more than me Jason.

Forgot to ask earlier JAyers93 if you thought about calling Empire Diesel and asking them what size pulley they're using for the procharger kits they are fabbing up for a cummins. They aren't selling them to the public yet, but the powerstroke and duramax procharger kits have been out for awhile now...

I did speak with Chad at Empire. Their setups are fairly complicated and are constructed differently then what im going to try.

Update

2010-07-22113008.jpg

Sprockets

2010-07-22092537.jpg

2010-07-22111722.jpg

2010-07-22111713.jpg

2010-07-22160704.jpg

2010-07-22161349.jpg

2010-07-22163207.jpg

2010-07-22180712.jpg

Very nice!:woohoo: You gonna have it together in time to dyno at SDX?

is your roller chain rated for the speeds they will be operating under?

Yes and yes. 14k tensile strength and a 3.5k rpm max will keep it alive. I will have to lube the chain up every time I fill up the fuel tank. Im also in the process of building a case for it so it doesn't destroy a bunch of chit if it decides to let loose.

A spring tensioner will also be installed on the slack side of the chain.

I already have a D1SC mounted to my isuzu 3.9L, I'm running a custom 10 rib 12" pulley with 3.6" charger pulley to run max rpm of 61,500 on the supercharger and 4,500rpm on my isuzu. I have a nice calculator your welcome to for figuring out pulley sizes and such with the D1SC gear ratio.

I currently have it with an he351 but have been considering an S362 or S364

You need a shield over the chain with a sticker that says "meat grinder- insert hand here"
Randy

Last edited:
That chain drive is probably going to be noisy. I would think that a belt and a couple pulleys would be a more desirable set up. I am curious to see how the chain drive holds up though.

How do you currently have it with the he351?

At 3k the D1 will be turning 55k, im going to have a S475 feeding it. Im going to try not to push the D1 to hard.

The main reason I went with the sprockets is so I can run any gear ratio I like with a simple swap and without the cost of having pulley's made. Plus the chain im running will be just as reliable as a belt without the slip.

That chain drive is probably going to be noisy. I would think that a belt and a couple pulleys would be a more desirable set up. I am curious to see how the chain drive holds up though.

Noise is no issue...belts slip...even a 12 rib would not be capable of holding the extra pressure coming in from the S475. I would have to run a cog belt and they are just as noisy and even more expensive/space consuming then this chain setup. I have been told by the chain manufacture that this chain will do what i want. Hopefully by the end of next week ill have it completely finished up and ill put this chain to the test.

... You need a shield over the chain with a sticker that says "meat grinder- insert hand here"
Randy

I agree. I think keeping that chain lubed up will make a mess underneath your hood. A shield would take care of most of it. Haven't seen anyone use a chain to spin a procharger yet, but this is definitely a cost effective way to see how well it works. Just my $.02

Nice progress. Keep it up. The more pictures the better!

I have the procharger feeding the turbo right now.

I would be a little leary of the chain setup in all honestly but I am also interested in hearing how it works out for you.

I had my custom pulley made along with converting my harmonic balancer to serpentine drive at the same time for about $600, I plan to buy some more pulleys for the supercharger to change how boost comes on. I also have a Tial blow off valve to play with tuning.

I would Highly suggest blowing the Procharger into the turbo. With correct tension and belt deflection setup. 6 and 8 rib belts on high rpm duramax's and no issues until stepping up to anything larger then the F1C

Might wanna think about re-designing your bracket. You should be bracing all the way around the procharger.

Might wanna think about re-designing your bracket. You should be bracing all the way around the procharger.

Ive got the procharger mounted using the same holes as the bracket that was provided with it. Also the mounting holes do not go all the way around it, just the bottom 180*. My homemade bracket is made out of 5/8's mild steel...the bracket that came with it is 5/8's aluminum. Im also running a piece of 1/4x1in flat stock from the engine mount to the bottom side of the procharger just to be extra safe. It does not budge with my 170lb's standing on it. I think it will be fine.

Josh

Looks sweet. With the lubing of the chain it would be nice if you could almost have like a oil bath for the chain as long as it didn't make a giant mess.

NIce work man

Hey Josh, why not try to use motorcycle chain? They go high RPM's and hold up quite well.

Back