whats all involved?

tater_thrower76

whats all does it take to change a 5-speed to an auto.... that will hold 700+ hp?

thinkin bout doin a swap... seeing how much there is to do on one

Start with 6 to 8 grand for a built tranny and converter. Then maybe another grand or two for the other parts needed, depending on how clean an install you want to do.

um go directly to suncoasts website, you can buy a full, race tranny for 5200 with a converter i believe, but then you should swap out the column/pedals and gauge cluster but its not all necessary.

um go directly to suncoasts website, you can buy a full, race tranny for 5200 with a converter i believe, but then you should swap out the column/pedals and gauge cluster but its not all necessary.

a full billet race trans with a converter for $5200.... :what:

tranny

i just priced out a extreme duty rebuild and all three billet shafts (input intermidiate output) and billet direct drum and converter. billet flex plate and deep mag pan and full valve body it was $6560! and that was just parts me assembling it.

extreme rebuild kit 542
billet flex plate 475
converter 1295
valve body 438
billet direct drum 685
billet input 767
billet intermidate 742
billet output 832
deep pan 285
plus tax and shipping

total $6560 direct from suncoast website

if i was to buy a pre assembled tranny it would have added $2153 and shipping of $150 each way new and core. me and a buddy was going to go in together and buy two and they said they would knock some off the price and the shipping!!! but it is still a:kick:

I did manual to auto it was really easy. I also built my transmission for alot chpeaper than listed above. I don't have a billet inter or outer shaft because its a 2X4. I had 4K in the complete settup all parts....I didn't do anything to the column as I used a B&M mega shifter from Jegs.com

Driveshaft had to be shortened a bit along with new peice that goes into the tranny. I love it ! wouldn't have it any other way.

Goerend, HTS and Garmon were the builders I called. Garmon was the cheapest. I went with Goerend because I did a trade with another member.

Its not that hard of a job. Only parts needed besides the trans is:

Auto trans mount (not the rubber piece)

Tcase input shaft for an auto.

Tcase linkage from the auto. The adjuster rod is longer and the mount is different.

shorten rear drive shaft (I went with a one piece 4"-.095 wall) so far no vibration up to 110 on the highway. Makes removing driveshaft SIMPLE!! 4 bolts on the pinion.

Lengthen front drive shaft

TV/kickdown cable

Some kind of shifter (I have a B&M floor shifter)

Trans coolers. I did a B&M supercooler in front of the radiator and a Derale atomic cooler with fan and thermostat under the bed.

Lockup toggle switch, Brad Ponci has me doing a Hobbs switch, so lockup comes on by itself at around 40-42mph. But I will still have manual override toggle for drag racing.

O/D toggle switch. Also going to do the same as the lockup switch with the Hobbs switch.

Thats it!

I'm doing the Hobbs switches so if someone need to use the truck the can get in and drive it without having to flip switches.

Back