Whats in your shop for tools or what do you have access to???

RyanB

Hey guys, the forum has been a little slow here in the past few weeks (everyone must be working on there winter projects and to busy to talk!) Anyway, I have a winter project of my own on the go and and last night while playing with Auto-Cad I thought this would be a great spot to start a post on custom machining and design work. Just curious as to what all options are out there and what most of us have access to.

In my area I have access to Waterjets, lasers, cnc mills, lathes, plasma tables, cnc brakes. On my own I also design with Auto-cad and am experimenting with Solid Works but most of the shops I have access to, I just have to convert my Cad drawings to .dxf files and they can do the rest. I also have access to some of the greatest "old timer" machinests I know that don't charge a complete forture to fire up there lathe for an hour or two and machine things the way I want them.

My "hobbie" shop (I have to shops and the other is full of woodworking tools for my bussiness www.premiercustomwoodworks.com is pretty basic consisting of the standard smaller Lincoln mig welder, tube bender, 20ton press, a full chest of tools and the most exotic machine I have in that shop is a Lincoln 175 Pulse Tig welder...just getting back into the tig welding after not using it for a few years.

Anyway, just thought it would be intresting to find out what others have or have access too and what kind of "custom parts" we can build. I just like to play with steel after hours and its great to get ideas from others!

Ryan

I have a drill press that thinks it is a milling machine, a skitzophrenic skill saw that thinks it is a metal saw, a metal chop saw, a couple high speed grinders, state of the art mig machine, (sold my tig) a LOT of specialty tools, use of a friends lathe, and with that we can/have built anything we needed - just takes a bit longer ;o) oh and the most important tool of all ... a very active and prolific imagination that designs all the wierd sheet I come up with to be built

hand tools, a portaband saw, a grinder, sawzall, snap on welder, and lots of BFH's

manual vertical mill, small miller mig, bigger miller mig, lincoln plasma cutter, and a bunch of hand tools. working on finding a lathe.

a complete machine shop with 3 bridgeports, a very large lathe, a medium lathe, small milling machine, 2 big miller migs lincoln tig mig stick, hobart stick, 2 plasma cutters, 250 ton press brake, 65 ton iron worker, 200 ton shear, cold saw, and all the common hand tools and hand power tools. many other tools that dont get used often enough to remember there in there

hitachi, dewalt, milwaukee cordless power tools,craftsman professional tool chest, UV sterilizers, Ozone generators, robotic feeding system, low head oxygenation unit, incubations systems accurate to within .1 degree C, micro injector, flow cytometer, o sorry, not really the shop that was asked about but these are the tools i use everyday.

Every thing to engineer,build and test Mack and Volvo Engines. Really to much to list.

You just ruined this thread! LOL

Every thing to engineer,build and test Mack and Volvo Engines. Really to much to list.

Besides the tools and equipment that's in my shop I have access to a manual mill, a lathe, and some other cool machine shop equipment. Like my dad always said "It's not what you know, it's who you know"

Migs, plasma cutter, torch, air tools, hand tools, electric tools, stick welders, big lathe, mill, shop crane, lifts, drill press, 45ton press. Wanting an Iron Worker...

Like my dad always said "It's not what you know, it's who you know"

That is one saying that is very true, especially when it comes down to the large machines that most of us could never afford. I have started sourcing alot of things in my cabinet making bussiness just because it would take me years to pay off the machines I would need, where I can buy the pieces already done for just a little more than it costs me to make them!!!

RyanB

i work in my friends shop who has a band saw, drill press, chop saw, mig, tig, plasma, cutting torches, all the air tools i could need, bench grinder, every hand tool, and everything else ive ever needed. also have access to a mill and a lathe.

Garrett

every construction tool u could ever need, just about every hand tool, mig, stick, torch, scanner, 4 post lift. two 2 post lifts, sign and graphics shop and few other odd things

I just have your basic hand tools and some specialty automotive tools, nothing crazy, but I have access to nearly any 3d modeling program you can imagine, a few on my home computer, and my buddy works at a very large machine shop so I have access to have nearly anything in the world machined.

They make compressors the size of small cars there...

I hate you guys, I only have a Tig and Mig for cool tools, basic oversized garage with basic stuff, those on my F/B page know that.

Jim

3 migs, 2 tigs, a couple plasma cutters, 5 ton press, jack, engine hoist and stands, about 10,000 gas cylinders full of everything from amonia to nitrous..lol drill presse's, no laiths though, wouldbe so nice..

beer , did i hear beer, lol You mean "Liquid Engineering Emporium" as my old shop was called ;o)

Back