whats next?

973604x4

aka landphil
Im loving my daily driver 12 valve. Im 3 hours away from home right now and the 12 valve is here while my LMM is sitting in my driveway back home.

I'm wanting more ideas on the next mods I should make to aid longevity and mileage.

current mods:
18*
plate ground (how much?) and full forward
AFC full forward (towards intercooler)
AFE stage 2 intake
Banks Twin Ram Air intake horn
4" turbo back with straight through muffler
converter and valve body by a local guy. Shifts well but un-sure of internals
TPS pot mod
lock-up switch

283,000 miles on the clock. currently gets 25mpg highway.

its still slow and barely smokes. Whats next? Mainly concerned about mileage and longevity.....but wouldn't mind a couple more hp...but not really concerned about power.

what good would 191 dv's do for me?

You could grind the plate to a 100. 191s would be a kick over the 131s. A set of 215 injectors would be a pretty cheap upgrade also. 3k governor spring would be a real good cheap upgrade also. That would probably be close to the limits of the stock auto if you do all or a combination of those.

I agree witht eh 215 injector suggestion. In fact if you could find a truck with a 215 pump like in a junk yard or something that would be cool because you could either put the pump straight on your truck (after making sure its sound of course) or pull the dvs out and swap em.
next would have to be air and govenor springs, either put a boost elbow on the turbo so you can regulate how much more boost you want (i had mine at 40 on my stock one)/ plug the wastegate or go for a new turbo, pick up some 3kgov. springs (you can up grade them to 4ks later for about 20 bucks if you want to)

running 75mph, my truck is working hard to maintain speed through the hill country. i mean like foot on the floor. if i have more power on tap, it would maintain speed with less strain. does that mean better mileage or worse mileage since more fuel is on tap?

Like stated

4kgsk
boost elbow
STAY AWAY from 191s, get some 181s out of a 215hp pump. 191s make way to much heat for a stock turbo.
Talk to Weston (smokem) about a nice set of injectors for a great price.
I like my 100 plate better than the 0 I had.
AFC mods if you havent done them.

TUNING, TUNING, TUNING!!! The PPump has alot of extra power in it if its tuned right.

what rpms is it running?

1900 at 70mph

Like stated

4kgsk
boost elbow
STAY AWAY from 191s, get some 181s out of a 215hp pump. 191s make way to much heat for a stock turbo.
Talk to Weston (smokem) about a nice set of injectors for a great price.
I like my 100 plate better than the 0 I had.
AFC mods if you havent done them.

TUNING, TUNING, TUNING!!! The PPump has alot of extra power in it if its tuned right.

wouldn't a 3kgsk be safer for my stock engine? i like to mash the pedal and not back out for rpms

wheres the best place to shop online for dv's, plates, and boost elbows?

im still learning the tuning part. when i had my 95 12v i played with it atleast 3 times a week trying to learn. my neighbors always thought it was broke.

about the dmax comment. i bought it in november 07 when the market was good. obviously the market fell apart since then so i dont want to sell it and take the hit. its paid for. it has a warranty. it drives good. i just prefer to drive 12 valves daily, mostly for mileage reasons.

a 3gsk would be better if your worried about having to put valve springs in (needed for goint to 4 grand). You'd only need the exhaust side but most doe the intake and exhaust because they can be done at the same time. You dont really need to go to 4krpm + you'd have to have the fuel and the turbo to get there because once you reach over aorund 3500rpm heat is an issue. EGTs (a reason that you should let off the pedal for)are what you have to worry about if you didnt get gauges before now would be a good time to get a set.
I know you were worried about mileage and a governor spring kit wont hurt you on that once you get over your new power band. The stock springs in general start to defuel the truck at around 2100 rpm and they dont let the truck really go much farther past 2700 rpm. the new springs will let it fuel basically up to 3000 rpm which means you have a bigger powerband which means you have to use less pedal, which means the potential for better mileage once u stop playing with your new power (its hard not to). trust me ull wonder why they didnt come like this from the factory .
Plates and boost elbows are usually sold together if you can find one like from tst that has an adjustable elbow that goes with it in my opinion you'd be better off because as you mess with fuel boost will move up as well but you dont want it to be out of the turbos efficientcy range(about 35 psi)

If you want to try some stock 215's, let me know. We are not that far from each other.

BTW, my daughter is an A&M grad, civil engineering, now a PE. Proud Papa for sure!!!

Ive bought 3 plates from this guy. They are VERY nice pieces. They are a one piece plate.
Dodge Cummins Diesel Fuel Torque Plate #100:eBay Motors (item 270425658414 end time Jul-19-09 20:27:49 PDT)

ordered directly off this link on sunday. Ebay confirmation says I bought a 0 plate. well whatever. Then i didnt get a tracking number. emailed the seller on wednesday....he claimed the post office hadn't read the package yet. ironically the same day i get a tracking number posted a few hours after my email. Got the plate today. It is NOT labled at all....nothing in the kit describing how big it is. The instructions that came with it are straight from TST. This whole deal sounds fishy.

So explain to me the easiest way to identify my plate.....

there are a few charts on here if you search, and they wil give you a profile view of how the plate is shaped/ground to give you an idea of what you have.

I will see if I can find the pics of each plate by size

I have 3 of his plates. Thing is EVERY company has different grinds and calls them different numbers. He has a great quality product if you ask me.

As far as the 181s, you will have to find them used. PM Smokem he might have a set to sell, if not he will most likely have some .022s.

You have to remember this isnt one of them there fancy computer controlled luxury Dmaxs:hehe:, these are 12valves! EASY, CHEAP HORSEPOWER!!!!!

Attachments

• allplateprofiles.jpg
    allplateprofiles.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 28
I have 3 of his plates. Thing is EVERY company has different grinds and calls them different numbers. He has a great quality product if you ask me.

As far as the 181s, you will have to find them used. PM Smokem he might have a set to sell, if not he will most likely have some .022s.

You have to remember this isnt one of them there fancy computer controlled luxury Dmaxs:hehe:, these are 12valves! EASY, CHEAP HORSEPOWER!!!!!

looks like i got a 0 plate. thanks for posting that plate diagram....i had been looking for it after running across it a few weeks ago. I'll give the 0 plate a try.

i know nothing about power in a dmax. i know common rail dodges. im not so sure about cheap power in a 12 valve. ive sunk ~$330 for 100-150hp if tuned correctly and still won't dyno near 450hp. I recall the days when a used Triple Dog sold for $350 and crazy larry was an instant 180hp gain and made rwhp 450hp-ish :hehe: now if you want to argue initial investment, i can't argue that. Ive had 4wheelers that cost more than my 12valve compared to a $20k+ common rail.

Snatch them up while you can!! They dont come along to often.

181 Delivery valves - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

i sent him a PM and thanks for posting the link

grind a plate, put a 4k GSK in it... set the timing around 16*. it won't want to rev past about 3400... when/if you put the valvesprings in, bump the timing up around 19-20*

some 181's or 191's will help, but I'd be planning on a set of injectors too :cool:

Back