what's the fastest gear you guys run

Ragged Edge

TRUCK PULLER
I was just thinking and was wondering what is the fastest gear you guys run, at a 4800-5200 rpm underload on a good ohio track. Anyone run a 12.5 or 13.22?

anyone pull 2nd high? i hear that harder on parts then say 4th gear 4wd low. opinions? truck i got has 3.54's and pulls 2nd high better on a 300ft track.

2nd high is askin for trouble, the gears strip out after some hard runs, have seen one guy blow his motor doin it, 4th low in a 5 speed is your only safe bet, new axel gears are prob needed to set the truck up in order to make it pull right with your rpms

13.2 is common on 35"'s and a 2.8 on any track, but they usualy only run around 4000-4200 peak hooked up mid track then pull down to 32-3600 and spin out. If you are pulling a 7.2 final you must be pulling a staged turbo setup. 5200rpm on 35"s and a 13.2 is 41mph so either you have really bad wheel spin and aren't hooked up well or the dumbass sled guy decided to let everybody pull 350-400ft that night. I miss 300ft being a full pull and the sled being set so it was a struggle to get there. The current idea of how sled pulling should be at least here in Ky and southern In seems to be that you need to pull at least 350ft to win. I expect in another 10 years we will be pulling an 1/8th mile, maybe we will even do it with reaction time trees and trap speed indicators!! Then we can have real sled racing instead of pulling! That is where it seems headed.

I miss 300ft being a full pull and the sled being set so it was a struggle to get there

I agree, makes it tough going to different tracks not knowing what to expect. Auto trucks love a long track.

...or the dumbass sled guy decided to let everybody pull 350-400ft that night. I miss 300ft being a full pull and the sled being set so it was a struggle to get there. The current idea of how sled pulling should be at least here in Ky and southern In seems to be that you need to pull at least 350ft to win. I expect in another 10 years we will be pulling an 1/8th mile, maybe we will even do it with reaction time trees and trap speed indicators!! Then we can have real sled racing instead of pulling! That is where it seems headed.

:clap:

13.2 is common on 35"'s and a 2.8 on any track, but they usualy only run around 4000-4200 peak hooked up mid track then pull down to 32-3600 and spin out. If you are pulling a 7.2 final you must be pulling a staged turbo setup. 5200rpm on 35"s and a 13.2 is 41mph so either you have really bad wheel spin and aren't hooked up well or the dumbass sled guy decided to let everybody pull 350-400ft that night. I miss 300ft being a full pull and the sled being set so it was a struggle to get there. The current idea of how sled pulling should be at least here in Ky and southern In seems to be that you need to pull at least 350ft to win. I expect in another 10 years we will be pulling an 1/8th mile, maybe we will even do it with reaction time trees and trap speed indicators!! Then we can have real sled racing instead of pulling! That is where it seems headed.

I agree, 13.90/35" is common for 2.6".

You are only going to get the tires to hook to the track going so fast. You can spin them at 50mph if you want but they will never hook!

maybe we will even do it with reaction time trees and trap speed indicators!! Then we can have real sled racing instead of pulling! That is where it seems headed.

Most sled pulls you go to now, the announcer gives the speed of the truck going down the track.

anyone pull 2nd high? i hear that harder on parts then say 4th gear 4wd low. opinions? truck i got has 3.54's and pulls 2nd high better on a 300ft track.

this with a 5 or 6 speed? 5 speed is a 10.79 final and the 6 is 11.82 both of which with a 35 bfg a/t and s475 i dont think is hardly doable but i could be wrong. If anything the clutch will only last 2 hooks.

You are only going to get the tires to hook to the track going so fast. You can spin them at 50mph if you want but they will never hook!

well if your hooked to the track that means you don't have anymore speed left ,if your always spining you are always gaining speed is what i always thought.

I was going to try runing a 12.55 final with 35'' dauls and a twin setup. Last year I ran a 13.9 with 35" and it just never worked the motor till the end i mean it was doing something because I tore out two ringgears.

Last edited:
well if your hooked to the track that means you don't have anymore speed left ,if your always spining you are always gaining speed is what i always thought.

You would be better off being hooked to the track than spinning the tires. If the tires are just spinning like crazy there is a point where they are going too fast to grab on to anything, you just have to find that sweet spot.

I was going to try runing a 12.55 final with 35'' dauls and a twin setup. Last year I ran a 13.9 with 35" and it just never worked the motor till the end i mean it was doing something because I tore out two ringgears.

If this is the way it was running I would try to make a small change, it sounds like you are pretty close. If you work it too hard in the middle of the track you will snuff it at the end, again just a balance that you have to find.

Back