Wheel base

ramtough01

Did some searching didn't see much what I was looking for.
Seeing how everyone says you need to make the truck wheel base to 158. And I under stand the leverage. But wouldn't a short wheel base truck like a ex cab short bed that is set up right and hooks just as hard be just as good? Or is a person just better off to go to 158 wheel base?

Last edited:
Same here but always here people say if your truck was longer wheel base it hook better but I always say if it's set up right I should hook up just as good

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Same here but always here people say if your truck was longer wheel base it hook better but I always say if it's set up right I should hook up just as good

We went from 168" down to 158, old 3.0 rules. Did it in middle of year to make a ppl pull. Everyone told us we would mess up saying that the length of the truck was why we ran so good. It definitely didn't make it hook any worse. In my minds now it hooks better. Had another guy with us go from 172 to 158 and his truck runs better short than it ever did long.

I always believed this until I saw Evan Smoot's old reg cab 2.6 truck compete with all the other long wheelbase trucks. Although I do still believe a long wheelbase truck would be easier to set up

It all depends on how and where you can cut out weight. For a 2.6/limited prostock truck I have found that 158" is just about right to balance the leverage of the weight box while not wasting the amount of weight you can put out there by having to have a full OEM chassis and body.

Now in Prostock or superstock when you can cut out a lot of weight by stripping a bunch of weight in the body and chassis a longer wheelbase would perhaps give you an advantage.

F=(W*X)/L

L: Hitch Length is fixed at 44"
W: how much can be put in a weightbox (assume a standard of 1200#)
X: Distance from rear axle to weightbox (At 158" wheelbase this is 218")

Could assume chassis and body weighs 100# per 12"

F=1200X218/44 =5945 pounds of down force at the weight box

170" wheelbase: F=1100X230/44=5750

146": F=1300X206/44=6086

At 50# per 12"

170": 6011
146": 5852

It all depends on how and where you can cut out weight. For a 2.6/limited prostock truck I have found that 158" is just about right to balance the leverage of the weight box while not wasting the amount of weight you can put out there by having to have a full OEM chassis and body.

Now in Prostock or superstock when you can cut out a lot of weight by stripping a bunch of weight in the body and chassis a longer wheelbase would perhaps give you an advantage.

F=(W*X)/L

L: Hitch Length is fixed at 44"
W: how much can be put in a weightbox (assume a standard of 1200#)
X: Distance from rear axle to weightbox (At 158" wheelbase this is 218")

Could assume chassis and body weighs 100# per 12"

F=1200X218/44 =5945 pounds of down force at the weight box

170" wheelbase: F=1100X230/44=5750

146": F=1300X206/44=6086

At 50# per 12"

170": 6011
146": 5852

Wow, that is awesome!

That being said, My RC truck runs about 1600 lbs out front. I don't see any of the extended cab guys coming close to that number.

^ Lol yup.. my OBS is a 155" wheel base (exclb) and I'm hanging close to 1400#. And seem to hook up very well.. trying a few new things this off season to the chassis and will have to see if they make a difference or not...

About 2,000 here. RCLB, almost all the interiors there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My reg cab had its certain tracks it liked. Some it would hook very well and other not so good. I ran about 1600 lbs out front. It'll be very interesting to see how the new setup will hook compared to the old one.

My reg cab had its certain tracks it liked. Some it would hook very well and other not so good. I ran about 1600 lbs out front. It'll be very interesting to see how the new setup will hook compared to the old one.

Going to.be done for murf? Looking forward to seeing it run!

Ben, still a rclb or did you go to 158"? Going ODL? I have a rclb and it worked better after talking to takedown and PT. Like the way my rclb works but each is different.

Thanks for all the responses. So from whats all posted here I don't think going to waste my time to stretch out my truck any the 8-10inchs further back the rear axle.

If your club uses a % hitch rule it shouldn't make a huge difference between the different wheelbases. That's why a lot use that. Its supposed to help level the playing feild

If your club uses a % hitch rule it shouldn't make a huge difference between the different wheelbases. That's why a lot use that. Its supposed to help level the playing feild
Clubs I pull with don't we part of ppl

Back