Wheel Base

BigBadDodge

Are you guy's out East seeing any major advantage of the longer wheel base vehicles over the shorter i.e. a 180" ford super cab 8' box compared to a Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 8' Box. Is the extra 2 1/2' any real advantage?

BBD

BigBadDodge said:
Are you guy's out East seeing any major advantage of the longer wheel base vehicles over the shorter i.e. a 180" ford super cab 8' box compared to a Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 8' Box. Is the extra 2 1/2' any real advantage?

BBD

Well, a Ford CC long wheel base is 172-longer and you have to go to a cab chassis. Downside might be longer means unable to hang weight where you want it.

I thought it was widely accepted that longer is better?

I can't really have an opinion as my truck very much a street truck

BBD,
There are not enough good running Fords to really gauge it well....:fish:

But hey longer is better.

Thanks guy's, I don't how a longer wheel base could be a disadvantage. 180" is out there Psychostroker here on the West Coast has one that long I believe, four door Ford with an 8' bed.

Click here to see Video

BBD

wheelbase is great less hop, down side heavt fat kids cant hang wieght

Justin Wiliams shut it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also was wondering about this as I was intending to do my buid up on a quadcab short box frame, my DD is a extended cab longbox, and does fine, but, the quadcab shorbox frame is real cheap, I am trying to build one to keep my DD off of the track.........:bang

Well let me put it this way Scott, out of all the pulls I attended this year I never saw a regular cab 8' box truck win. WB doesnt necessarily make you a winner, but it helps.

BBD, Psychostroker has to be 172" not 180". Thats what all 3/4-1 ton CC LB Fords are (172)

Really depends on if front hangin weights are allowed. Wheel base becomes less important if you can hang front weights. Point in case, Brad Ingram. With all thats been done to that truck to be at the top, don't you think if they thought they could more distance out of it by being longer, they would put all that stuff in a longer truck? I do. So to me, if they don't see that big of an advantage to it, must not be much there.

Some advantage, sure. Measurable on the pulling track if front hangin weights are allowed, I'm not convinced. Exception maybe with the reg cab long box as was mentioned, you sure don't see many of them in diesel trucks doing much. However, EVERY other class known to truck pulling they do. ;)

C-ya

Back