When do you lock your convertor?

Craig_C

Resident Smartass
Just wanted to see when most people are locking the convertors?

Anyone lock it up off the line? When I do my trans swap, was thinking of using a momentary contact on the brake pedal so that when the brake is released the convertor locks, right off the line.

I flip the switch at the line and when my trans shifts in to 2nd it locks itself.

I lock a split second after I hit 2nd..

I accidently locked in 1st one time...Fell off the chargers for a sec...Still ran an 11.8x though....But a couple weeks later I brode my billet input shaft on the hwy at 60 mph on a WOT run.... I think it cracked it when I locked in first.. DON'T Do it unless you have deep pockets and plenty of time..

It would be hard on parts and i would think it'd be hard to stay on top of the charger if you locked as soon as you left...

.....???? As far as I know the converter doesn't lock in 1st so you should have enough of rpms to lock as soon as you hit 2nd and stay on your charger. Not sure that it would be much harder on parts to lock as soon as you hit second rather than a split second later. Plus it is one less thing to do while running down the track. This is a 47rh app. I have no idea on the electronic controllers on the newer trucks.

Last edited:
With a suncoast vb a friends truck would lock in first. And without the pcm in mine I have been told it will lock in first as well, don't know if this is true or not. I have yet to get the truck up and running.

I lock in 2nd.

Well i only drove it 2 miles, but my stock VB with a TF OD3 full manual shift kit didnt lock in 1st.

My bd race vb will also lock in first...it's nice towing the camper through a traffic jam or slow area on the interstate.

i have a 2 piece output from a 2wd RH that says trying a boosted launch with the converter is a bad idea

I guess some lock in first. I prefer to flip the switch at the line rather than looking for the switch later on in the run.

47rh, HTS valve body, 2nd gear lockup

.....???? As far as I know the converter doesn't lock in 1st so you should have enough of rpms to lock as soon as you hit 2nd and stay on your charger. Not sure that it would be much harder on parts to lock as soon as you hit second rather than a split second later. Plus it is one less thing to do while running down the track. This is a 47rh app. I have no idea on the electronic controllers on the newer trucks.

It will with the right vb mods. If you had a vb that WONT lock in first, and just flip the switch so it locks as soon as it hits second i dont see that being a problem. I may even try that tomorrow at the track just to see if there is a difference in times.

What i meant was if he tries to lock the convertor as soon as he comes off the brakes(like he mentioned) then he will have problems. Im sure some race trucks may do this, just seems REALLY hard on parts to me.

When I drove f6jbob's truck (2006 Dodge) at the 2.6 race in Bradenton, it would stumble if I hit lockup before the 1-2 shift. We were fighting a problem with rail pressure relief valves though, so this may have been the real problem.

In the DirtyMax truck (with a Bruno/Lenco with a lockup converter), we have the lockup set on a timer to come in just a few feet after the launch, while the chassis is still planting the tires hard and the front wheels are in the air. It seems to work well, as we run as quick to 60' as any diesel pickup.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I always locked mine when shifting into 2nd and it would stay locked through 4th. I did make all 3 billet shafts into the two piece versions, luckily it wasn't all at one time.

Back