Where are my axle experts at?

BWCbuilt

I am looking for a semi-floating 10.25 axle. My questions are:

What did the semi floaters come in?

What gear ratios are available?

Are the ring and pinions interchangeable semi/full float?

Can a 10.5 ring and pinion fit in the 10.25 semi-float housing?

Basically I would like to have a semi-float axle with a 3.05 ratio.

Thanks!
_______

I see them in a lot of vans. 10.5 internals will work in 10.25 houshing use the 10.5 pinion yoke with the 10.5 r&p because of spline length difference.In oem form I see 3.55,3.73,4.10 and 4.30 in the aftermarket 4.56,4.88 and 5.13 are available.Both are 35 spline axles.

I see them in a lot of vans. 10.5 internals will work in 10.25 houshing use the 10.5 pinion yoke with the 10.5 r&p because of spline length difference.In oem form I see 3.55,3.73,4.10 and 4.30 in the aftermarket 4.56,4.88 and 5.13 are available.Both are 35 spline axles.

So theoretically, If I found a van with a semi-float 10.25, and a grabbed a 10.5 out of an 11 or newer superduty with a 3.05 ring and pinon, I could put the ring and pinion from the 10.5 in in the 10.25 using the the semi-float carrier and bearings?

I looked around a few places for one this morning, no luck. I was really hoping to be able to get one thrown up on my work table today. I still am not positive If I am able to use a 3.05 ring and pinion from a newer 10.5 full floater however.

According to car-part.com, theres a 3.54 gear 10.25" in Aberdeen for $300 (out of a '92 truck) and a 3.55 gear axle in Hartford for $250 (out of a '94).

According to car-part.com, theres a 3.54 gear 10.25" in Aberdeen for $300 (out of a '92 truck) and a 3.55 gear axle in Hartford for $250 (out of a '94).

semi-float?

The biggest part of this whole deal is that I need a semi-float axle. I would really like to gear it to 3.05, but 3.55 or 3.73 would work if I can't do 3.05.

Yup. Semi float. There are also 4 with 4.10 gears, but you can search all that. http://www.car-part.com I find that site very valuable when looking for parts/interchanges.

BTW, do you Ford guys have to worry about wms-wms and spring pad distances??

Im in the process of building a 9.5" 14bolt for my 1/2ton project truck (Chevy). Detroit, 3.73s, disc brake rear, etc...

Last edited:
Yup. Semi float. There are also 4 with 4.10 gears, but you can search all that. http://www.car-part.com I find that site very valuable when looking for parts/interchanges.

BTW, do you Ford guys have to worry about wms-wms and spring pad distances??

Im in the process of building a 9.5" 14bolt for my 1/2ton project truck (Chevy). Detroit, 3.73s, disc brake rear, etc...

WMS?

Spring pad distances have changed between generations, but that is an easy fix.

I don't have to worry about that for this project however. Since the only part of the axle that I am going to use is the pumpkin, carrier, and part of the axle shafts.:aiwebs_031:

Wheel Mounting Surface (axle flange to axle flange distance)

Is this for that slick-looking black truck in your sig pic? Pretty cool truck.

Wheel Mounting Surface (axle flange to axle flange distance)

Is this for that slick-looking black truck in your sig pic? Pretty cool truck.

Hubface to hubface distance changed in 05.

That black truck has a 4 linked 8.8 in it.

This is for stage II of my white truck, the one I am building for track racing.

I am having problems finding a true semi-floating axle. I drove two hours today to pick one up, got there and it was a full-float. I also am still looking for a clear answer on if I can put a 3.05 ring and pinion from a full-float 10.5 in the semi-float 10.25. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The 10.2 and 10.5 aren't all that different, you can put 10.2 in 10.5 and back, both use 35 spl and just a difference in internal carrier option

Back