Where to find M24x1.5 plugs for head?

Dockboy

Comps BFF
Does anyone know where I can find M24x1.5 plugs for the freeze plugs in a head?

I have tried Fastenal, Mc Master Carr, Grainger, and Parker.

Thanks

Lee,

I need a hex socket head type, but thanks anyway.

Those will be tapered pipe thread.

M24x1.5 only comes in straight thread therefore an o-ring is required for sealing.

If it were my head, I would make it fit 3/4" NPT plugs.

Last edited:
A lot of the plug kits for heads come with that size tap. That's what mine are and they seal fine. Just lock tight them in.

Shane at Motorsport has them and Bill at Mountain High Performance sells them as well his number is (303)420-6218

Those will be tapered pipe thread.

M24x1.5 only comes in straight thread therefore an o-ring is required for sealing.

If it were my head, I would make it fit 3/4" NPT plugs.

Actually there is a m24x1.5 plug that is a tapered thread. Use it with a straight tap and you get a foolproof setup. Issue with using NPT is the coarseness of the threads can allow for very little thread engagement. Which gives a poor fit. Technically you need 5 threads of engagement for a vapor tight seal.

Actually there is a m24x1.5 plug that is a tapered thread. Use it with a straight tap and you get a foolproof setup. Issue with using NPT is the coarseness of the threads can allow for very little thread engagement. Which gives a poor fit. Technically you need 5 threads of engagement for a vapor tight seal.

Some of the Sisu engines have a female straight thread with a male tapered fitting in them. Many of them leak. We change them to a straight thread with a copper washer.

I did the same search a year ago and no such luck in the US. I ended up buying 150pc min order from a vendor of ours in Europe. It took over 3 weeks to get them and shipping just added to the cost. I had a bunch of heads to do and future ones so it was worth in IMO. I can supply you with 11 of them if you still need them just shoot me a PM. For others to know I soaked them in red locktite and mine are leak free for over a year now. I ran my 24X1.5 tap in with some tap magic and no drilling just tap as normal. Like Dan said I like the fact you do get more TPI. I did have fear using the straight thread with the metric plugs. Now I will do them to all my builds from here on out. I have also done this using the 3/4" brass npt plugs in the past. I used a locktite PST567 sealant on those and they are working great also. Its just the drilling for the 3/4" that adds cost and time.

Chris.

Last edited:
A lot of the plug kits for heads come with that size tap. That's what mine are and they seal fine. Just lock tight them in.

Shane at Motorsport has them and Bill at Mountain High Performance sells them as well his number is (303)420-6218

Thanks everyone!

I got the plugs and tap from Bill at Mountain High Performance.

That's good info. Thanks for sharing!

Shane has them, but good luck getting him on the phone, might want to send a carrier pigeon just to be safe

Not sure what size he uses

Motorsport Diesel

Shane's are M24 x 1.5.

Thanks everyone!

I got the plugs and tap from Bill at Mountain High Performance.
Bill and Pat are good guys. If they don't have it. They will usually help you find what you need. Glad they got you squared away.

Back