Where to get VP44 gear puller?

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
what stores would carry a puller that i might be able to find locally?

im changing a vp44 for a buddy this weekend and need a gear puller

I'm told a steering wheel puller will work but it's a very tight fit. I borrowed one that my buddy had made up.

i could get one made easily if i had the dimensions i need, my buddy is a machinist

If you have a local Snap-on dealer you can order a puller through them. You could also order it online, part# SP504. I was going to go with a cheaper route but I didn't find anything locally. Figured this tool would pay for itself with one pump job.

Dunno about local hook ups but here's a pic from II's page
DodgePumpGearPuller.jpg.w180h82.jpg

i can probably make something real easy with a couple bolts and some scrap metal.

And then take the stuff to get it heat treated.

I wouldn't waste your money on a Snap On version when you can buy one for 1/10 of the price else where. (I have Snap On tools, don't start) but I imagine there is money to be saved without sacrificing quality

the snap on tool is $32, i'll prolly just make one or use a steering wheel puller

Steering wheel puller - a little tight but it'll work. I've got a stubby I made from a puller I bought from Northern - works great.

A steering wheel puller works, but you can make one with two of the shorter intake bolts, some washers and a piece of 5" x 1" x 1/2" flat stock.

1. Cut the flat stock to 4" long.
2. Drill two holes for the bolts at the correct spacing for the threads in the gear.
3. Cut another piece of flatstock 1" x 1" x 1/2".
4. Weld the 1" chunk between the center of the holes in the 4" flat stock.
5. Put enough washers on the bolts so you have 1/2" of thread engagement inside the pump gear.

When using, alternate 1/2 turns on each bolt and they'll pop the gear in about 2 turns.

city diesel sells them!! try 256-350-5160 they are about 20 bucks!! somewhere on the diesel garage there is a guy that has one he will let you borrow!!

Back