where to put the ECM...

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
I have a dilemma...with my new billet tappet cover in place I started looking for someplace to install my ECM again...well the breathers are in the way. anyone got pictures of any bracketry they built to mount the ECM somewhere near the rear of the engine, and behind the pump, but not bolted to the engine itself?

I do not have a billet tappet cover, or a P-pump conversion(YET). But I was thinkin about this the other day when I was lookin at my engine bay which is stripped down for my build. A close and easy way I was considering which would'nt require any relocating of wires, is to built 2 vertical brackets on the frame. Basically spin the ECM 180 deg so it is facing the motor and build 2 brackets out of 1"x1/4" steel maybe 6 to 8" long, weld them to the frame(so they clear the brake lines and the stearing shaft, drill and tap the brackets( or bolt through with a nut) and mount it(only the 2 side bolts, forget the bottom one). All the wires will remain in the stock location. You'll want to make sure it will clear the pump though.$.02 Let me know what you come up with TJ im interested in how you do it.

Brackets? You don't need no stinkin' brackets!

I just unbolted mine and pushed it to the rear and left it. I know its a hokey way of doing it, but I've got close to 30k km on it like that with zero issues.

He fabricated some brackets to mount it out of the way, looks good if you ask me. I do not have any pictures, he might though.

nope no pictures...when i am up to my elbows in grease im not messing up a high dollar digital camera. mine was a pain due to the billet tappet cover and breather i added.

to explain it...its rotated 90* from the motor so the plug is facing the front of the truck...then rotate is 90* clockwise so the plug is now vertical instead of horizontal. its bolted with 2 brackets to the block and a 3rd bracket from the head. its solid and will not move.

not yet, too many other things going on at once...i did however get the fuel system side of the motor about buttoned up today...now i need to get the turbo side of things together and finished, and get a lift pump system on it and it will be ready to fire

mounted mine to the fire wall and ran a ground wire to the engine......my lift pump was in the way everywhere else(12v)

Back