Where would you put a TDI?

I'd do a TDI into a pre '86 solid axle Toyota p/u with 33's and lockers..

I also will be putting my TDI into a 4x4 toyota. Ive got a few more years left (unless they keep salting the crap out of these roads) out of it though. Im trying to prevent some rust but im fighting a loosing battle.

I would like to put a TDI in a Ranger. How adaptable are they? What are some of the problems with in stalling this FWD engine in RWD chassis?
Are there any companies that manufacture the parts to do it? I have seen the Suzuki kits.
I just picked up a old Diesel Ranger with the 2.3 4D55 Mitsubishi engine, but it had a busted timing belt and broke some rockersand bent some valves. I'm having a hard time finding parts for it. I was thinking about using the old Ranger drive-train in a newer ranger if I find the parts to fix the engine.

The only adapter parts I've seen are Acme to Toyota or Suzuki transmission's.

I also will be putting my TDI into a 4x4 toyota. Ive got a few more years left (unless they keep salting the crap out of these roads) out of it though. Im trying to prevent some rust but im fighting a loosing battle.

98 TDI?
You already lost that rust battle :bang

We bought ours new and for the first few years it didn't see much road as my wife had a home business. I am also a fanatic about washing the vehicles and sadly to say lately I don't wash the TDI because road film is whats keeping the body together. something about the A3 and it being the first Mexico built chassis that has it rusting to death. I have a 95 cabrio (VR6 Turbo swap), the last year from germany and it has next to nothing in rust.
This is the reason for thr thread.. That drivetrain has sooo much life in it and potential..I need to find it a new home...in my driveway of course

Yeah its a 98, lets see the area around the fuel fill neck is about gone, the entire driverside pinchweld is gone and it moving into to unibody now. On a good note it runs like a champ and only has 130000 miles on it. I still love it

I would put it in a prius, and get better mpg than it did from the factory!

98 TDI?
You already lost that rust battle :bang

We bought ours new and for the first few years it didn't see much road as my wife had a home business. I am also a fanatic about washing the vehicles and sadly to say lately I don't wash the TDI because road film is whats keeping the body together. something about the A3 and it being the first Mexico built chassis that has it rusting to death. I have a 95 cabrio (VR6 Turbo swap), the last year from germany and it has next to nothing in rust.
This is the reason for thr thread.. That drivetrain has sooo much life in it and potential..I need to find it a new home...in my driveway of course

Interesting note is the VW galvanized "rust prone" areas from the A2 era but forgot certain aspects like the rockers, fenders, upper body. All of those not galvanized rusted quite quickly.

On topic, MK1 Toyota MR2. Mid engined, rwd, sub 3k lbs, short wheelbase make for a fun car!

Sent from my rooted Velocity Ally

Last edited:
Yeah its a 98, lets see the area around the fuel fill neck is about gone, the entire driverside pinchweld is gone and it moving into to unibody now. On a good note it runs like a champ and only has 130000 miles on it. I still love it

Same here.... bought with 203K Nov 1st 2010 from Blueboy on here. Every single panel on the car has a rust bubble. My fuel neck IS completely gone, my rocker panel's on both sides are completely rusted out.

Currently has 223,000 miles has been to Arizona, all over KY, Muncie In, and continues to take my to work everyday almost.

I would like on in old willys jeep set up to crawl or a Toyota T-100 longbed truck for my new work truck and commuter.

How much of a electrical headache are the harnesses?

I'm serious 'bout the prius, strip all that junk out of there, lighter, build a mpg winner, show them tree huggers what a simple diesel can do if allowed.

LOL I hate prius's.. I had my 6.0l psd with my 10k 30' toy hauler behind me when one pulled up next to me at a light. One where that little thing in the right lane had to merge in 200 ft. The guy had the gall to look at my truck and camper and shake his head. Then he annoyed me by inching like the light was going to turn and he was going to nail it.
Well it had a race tune in it and I casually put it in 4x4...why not. The Holy **** look on the fellows face as I was pulling away from him..lol he must have had his foot so far through the floor and that little thing truly was the poster child of that I think I can kids story..lol well it couldn't !
Even my wife got a good laugh out of that one,

Them yuppies think they are doing so good with a car that cost a whole lot $$ extra just to be green when its really not..just research the batteries, while my old TDI will do better in mpg while showing them the tail lights..

I have to say I guess it has paid off to open the filler door and spray when I washed it all those years...it still has that intact..but it is a now rockerless edition..

Miata

Ford Mustang

Go-kart

I would honestly do it to a jeep of some kind. I have always wanted a jeep, but the MPG has killed the "it would be fun to have" aspect.

Back