Which 12valve to get?

redram410

Hey guys i currently own a 07 LBZ i bought in august after selling my 05 cummins and was planning on buying a LMM but...after doing some hard thinking i would kind of like to put a 12v in a f250. A 4 door 04 to 06 f250 probly. Anyway i just had a couple questions. #1. which 12valve motor can i get the most power out of and what year models did that motor come in. #2 what automatic trannys come in an 04-06 f250 and besides the adapter plate what else would i need transmission wise (not going to build the tranny when i do the conversion, too much money at once!) #3 which motor makes for an easier swap? the 6.0 or the 7.3? Thanks for all the help and sorry for so many question, I just wana know what im getting myself into! Thanks, Tyler

Hey guys i currently own a 07 LBZ i bought in august after selling my 05 cummins and was planning on buying a LMM but...after doing some hard thinking i would kind of like to put a 12v in a f250. A 4 door 04 to 06 f250 probly. Anyway i just had a couple questions. #1. which 12valve motor can i get the most power out of and what year models did that motor come in.Any of the ones that are equipped with a p7100 are fairly easy to get power out of these came out of 94-early 98 and other vehicles also #2 what automatic trannys come in an 04-06 f250 and besides the adapter plate what else would i need transmission wise (not going to build the tranny when i do the conversion, too much money at once!) Those came with a 5r110 iirc and i have no idea what else would be needed #3 which motor makes for an easier swap? the 6.0 or the 7.3? One that is not a diesel to start with if you don't already have the truck why pay the higher cost just to pull the engine and replace it. Thanks for all the help and sorry for so many question, I just wana know what im getting myself into! Thanks, Tyler

You may want to look at the dodge transmissions it saves the trouble of adapters and you could just use the entire engine and transmission wiring out of the donor truck.

I just thought it would be cheaper by not having to buy a tranny but if i could save the money by buying a gas truck i guess i could do it...what all would be different from a diesel ford and a gas burner? Would i have to do more fabricating and part buying if i bought a gas f250??

bad idea on useing a dodge trans, the ford trans are much better, you will need the adapter plate which is around 700, and a trans controller its about 400. and motor mounts, fordcummins.com sells every thing you need to do the swap and they even have directions its all bolt in, use the dodge a/c compressor and alt. the 1994 to 1998.5 engine will be your best choice for an engine for power because it has a p7100 pump, the older first gens had the rotary pump they didnt make as much power and you are limited with a rotary pump. you can convert the older engine to a p pump but you will need that pump, gear, timing housing, ang injector lines, hope this helps you, i would buy a truck with the gas engine they are cheeper, and you dont have to do any extra fab work

bad idea on useing a dodge trans, the ford trans are much better,

Oh that's right silly me i forgot that. The torque shift will have to be built to hold up to the abuse of a modified cummins, and if he were to use the ford trans he might be better off starting with a diesel in the first place so that he does not have to piece what he needs together. So by the time he has purchased the adapter the standalone controller and built the transmission he will have as much if not more than the dodge transmission that has been proven to take tons of abuse once properly modified. If you do decide to use the ford transmission look at destroked that is the only adapter that i would use.

I dont think I would run the Ford torque shift trans. I would get the 4R100 from behind a 7.3 much stronger and you can get a fully built one from BTS for around 4K.

doesn't make sense to use a Ford tranny IMO. $4k for a built tranny and $1100 for an adapter plate and a controller. Why not just build a Dodge tranny that will hold up better?

If i were to use a dodge tranny how would everything bolt up? Would i have to make something to hold it or would the ford cross member work as if it were a ford transmission, sorry for my ignorance lol never did a project quiet this big

If you use a dodge transmission I would recommend just making a new cross member but you may be able to modify the ford cross member. Regardless of the transmission used it will need to be moved more than likely. The only reason that I could see for using the ford transmission is if you already had one that was built.

definitely dont use a 5r110. IF you choose to use a ford tranny a 4r100 or e4od built would be good. though neither in stock for are going to like a slightly modified cummins. get a dodge auto.

Garrett

definitely dont use a 5r110. IF you choose to use a ford tranny a 4r100 or e4od built would be good. though neither in stock for are going to like a slightly modified cummins. get a dodge auto.

Garrett

What year model trucks do these transmissions come in?? Thanks for the help guys

94-98.5 12v is correct... one more bit of info... 5sp came with a 215 P-pump. but loads of folks are using lower HP auto P-pump with no problems.

personally would go with a 5sp and did .... much cheaper to beef up a clutch vs building up a tranny. but auto's are faster

What year model trucks do these transmissions come in?? Thanks for the help guys

They would have come in late 03 to 07's with the 6.0 diesel. Also the 215 pumps only come on 96-98 12 valves. The injection pump is not as big of a deal as it used to be in my opinion.

The 53 casting is only related to 24 blocks cast in Brazil with that casting number. Known for cracking the blocks from the poor castings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 53 casting is only related to 24 blocks cast in Brazil with that casting number. Known for cracking the blocks from the poor castings.

I have heard of 98 12v with 53 blocks.

I have heard of 98 12v with 53 blocks.

It is true that it is possible to get a 12v with a casting number of 53. But they don't have the problems with cracking that the 24 valves have.

Every 12v Storm block that I have come across was a 53 block, this includes fedex trucks and a hand full of 98' dodges. The only failure that I noticed was mad mikes purple truck and that was from years of abuse

I just finished an 04 f350 used a 5r110. I would not recommend it three months and three different tuners. And It still ain't right. Collecting parts to swap in a 47re.

Back